Express torque as a function of angular velocity

In summary, the student is struggling with understanding the relationship between torque and angular velocity. The student needs help understanding this relationship.
Catalyst971
I am strugglin with this step in my assignment. I am dealing with a centrifuge with a known moment of inertia. I should write the expression for a torque of the motor and express it as a function of angular velocity. Can you help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome: Next time, please fill out the Homework template. I will notify the mentors that you need to do this next time, and I think your post will be ok this time.
The equation you need is torque ## \vec{\tau}=\frac{d \vec{L}}{dt}=I \, (\frac{d\vec{\omega}}{dt}) ##, where vector ## \vec{L} =I \, \vec{\omega} ## is the angular momentum, and ## I ## is the moment of inertia about the axis of rotation. ## \\ ## Note:## \frac{d \vec{\omega}}{dt}=\frac{\Delta \vec{\omega}}{\Delta t}##. ## \\ ## Since it is basically a rotation about the z-axis, you can ignore the vectors in these equations and write ## \tau_z=I \, (\frac{\Delta \omega_z}{dt}) ##, so that torque ## \tau=I \, (\frac{\Delta \omega}{\Delta t}) ##, where ## \omega=\frac{2 \pi}{T}=(2 \pi) ## x (number of revolutions per second)=angular velocity (in radians per second), where ## T ## is the period of one revolution.

Last edited:
Catalyst971 said:
write the expression for a torque of the motor and express it as a function of angular velocity.
That does not quite make sense. Torque is related to angular acceleration. Please quote the task exactly as given to you.

@haruspex Torque is a function of the derivative of the angular velocity w.r.t. time. I think we are working with a beginner here, who might not know what a derivative is. Please see my post 2 above.

Charles Link said:
@haruspex Torque is a function of the derivative of the angular velocity w.r.t. time. I think we are working with a beginner here, who might not know what a derivative is. Please see my post 2 above.
I would still like to to see the verbatim statement of the assignment.

Related to Express torque as a function of angular velocity

1. What is torque and angular velocity?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object, while angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around a fixed axis.

2. How are torque and angular velocity related?

Torque and angular velocity are directly proportional to each other. This means that as one increases, the other also increases, and vice versa.

3. What is the formula for expressing torque as a function of angular velocity?

The formula for expressing torque (T) as a function of angular velocity (ω) is T = Iω, where I is the moment of inertia of the object.

4. How is the direction of torque related to the direction of angular velocity?

The direction of torque is perpendicular to both the direction of the rotational force and the direction of angular velocity. This means that if an object is rotating clockwise, the torque will be in the opposite direction (counterclockwise).

5. What are the units for expressing torque as a function of angular velocity?

In the SI system, torque is measured in Newton-meters (Nm) and angular velocity is measured in radians per second (rad/s). Therefore, the unit for expressing torque as a function of angular velocity is Nm/s or Joules per second (J/s).