Express this 2x2 matrix as a linear combo of thoes other 2x2 matricies

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in which the question is to express a vector as a linear combination of given vectors. The person asking for help has tried using matrix multiplication but is unsure if it is the correct method. They also mention that the problem is worth 20 marks and ask for input. Solutions are provided using an example and the discussion also mentions the possibility of not being able to solve for all variables.
mohdhm
http://xmlearning.maths.ed.ac.uk/lecture_notes/vector_spaces/linear_span_set/linear_span_set.php

Problem 1.29 #3------------------------

Hello guys, I've been given a problem like the one above in my assignments and I'm not really sure what the final answer is supposed to be like. So far here is what I've done: just multiplied each 2x2 matrix by a scalar and added them up... this question is worth 20 marks and i get a sense that it is incomplete, what am i missing here?

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/4354/linalgar1.png
http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=507&i=linalgar1.png

Does this look right? I've never come across anything like that in my books and it's worth 20 marks so i have to be careful. any input you give will be appretiated

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I must be looking at the wrong problem because I don't recognize any of the matrices you used in the linear combination. But in principle, you could do it that way and you'd get a system of four equations in three unknowns that should have a unique solution (e.g. one of them is dependent on the others), of course, you want to give that solution as well.

For example, if the question was, express the vector [3, 4, 2] as a linear combination of the vectors {[1, 0, 0], [0, 1, 0], [1, 0, -1]} you could of course write down an arbitrary linear combination
a [1, 0, 0] + b [0, 1, 0] + c [1, 0, -1]
but that would not do, of course. You would have to work it out:
[a, 0, 0] + [0, b, 0] + [c, 0, -c] = [a + c, b, - c]
should be equal to [3, 4, 2] so you get
a + c = 3
b = 4
- c = 2
Solving the system gives
a = 5, b = 4, c = -2
so the final answer would be:
[3, 4, 2] = 5 [1, 0, 0] + 4 [0, 1, 0] - 2 [1, 0, -1].

Now try this with the matrices.

Your matrix equation is, as you give,
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}h+k & 3j+ k \\ 3h+ k & j+ k\end{array}\right]= \left[\begin{array}{cc} 5 & -1 \\ 11 & 1\end{array}\right][/tex]
which, since two matrices are equal if and only if corresponding terms are equal, is the same as the four equations, h+ k= -5, 3j+ k= -1, 3h+ k= 11, and j+ k= 1.

Of course, you can't in general solve four equations for three unknowns- 3 matrices can't span this 4 dimensional space. But it is possible that the given matrix is in the subspace spanned by them.

Go ahead and use any three of the equations to solve for j, h, and k, then put the values into the fourth equation to see if there is a solution.

ah thanks for your help guys.

Related to Express this 2x2 matrix as a linear combo of thoes other 2x2 matricies

1. How can I express a 2x2 matrix as a linear combination of other 2x2 matrices?

To express a 2x2 matrix as a linear combination of other 2x2 matrices, you need to find coefficients (numbers) that you can multiply each matrix by to get the original matrix. These coefficients will form the linear combination.

2. What are the steps for expressing a 2x2 matrix as a linear combination?

The steps for expressing a 2x2 matrix as a linear combination are:
1. Identify the other 2x2 matrices that you want to use in the linear combination.
2. Assign variables to each of these matrices.
3. Set up a system of equations using the original matrix and the variables.
4. Solve the system of equations to find the coefficients.
5. Plug in the coefficients to the linear combination formula to express the original matrix as a linear combination.

3. Why is it useful to express a 2x2 matrix as a linear combination?

Expressing a 2x2 matrix as a linear combination can be useful in various applications in linear algebra and other fields of mathematics. It allows for easier manipulation and calculation of matrices, as well as a better understanding of the relationships between different matrices.

4. Can any 2x2 matrix be expressed as a linear combination of other 2x2 matrices?

Yes, any 2x2 matrix can be expressed as a linear combination of other 2x2 matrices. This is because any 2x2 matrix can be written in terms of the standard basis matrices, and these can be used as the other matrices in the linear combination.

5. Is there a limit to the number of matrices that can be used in a linear combination to express a 2x2 matrix?

No, there is no limit to the number of matrices that can be used in a linear combination to express a 2x2 matrix. However, using fewer matrices may result in a simpler and more efficient expression of the original matrix.

Back