Express the following in the form of a Complex Number

In summary: Can you clarify what you are trying to find?In summary, the conversation is about a problem in a waves class where the goal is to express x in the form x = Re[Ae^i\alpha e^iwt]. The person has previously solved a similar problem without a phase constant (∏/4), but is now unsure of how to handle the e^i∏/4 term. They receive suggestions to find the complex amplitude and complex angle of e^i∏/4, which they determine to be √2.414 and 35.26 degrees or 0.6155 radians, respectively. They then ask for confirmation if their solution of x = Re[√2.414 e^i
Minhq604

Homework Statement

For my waves class, I have to do this problem. I've previously completed a question like this except there was no phase constant (∏/4) in that question.
Express the following in the form x = Re [Ae^i[itex]\alpha[/itex]e^iwt
x=cos(wt + ∏/4) - sin(wt)

Homework Equations

euler's formula e^iwt = cos(wt) + isin(wt)
complex amplitude = √A2+B2
complex angle = tan [itex]\alpha[/itex] = y/x

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that cos(wt + ∏/4) = Re [e^i(wt + ∏/4)] and -sin(wt) = Re [ie^iwt]

combining these two, i have Re [e^i(wt + ∏/4) + ie^iwt] which, after factoring, becomes
Re [e^iwt (e^i∏/4 + i)]

My problem is, what do i do with the e^i∏/4 to get the complex amplitude and complex angle? In my previous problem without the ∏/4 shift, i was able to plot in Cartesian coordinates I am vs Re and successfully convert to polar coordinates. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
##e^{i \pi/4}## is a complex number. So is ##e^{i \pi/4} + i##. Find it, then represent it as ## A e^{i\alpha}##.

How about changing your x into x = Acos(x + ψ)? Just high school trig.

Last edited:
so i made the e^i[itex]\pi[/itex]/4 into cos([itex]\pi[/itex]/4)+sin([itex]\pi[/itex]/4) by using eulers formula. Now i calculated the complex amplitude to be √2.414. and the complex angle to be 35.26 degrees or 0.6155 rad. The answer i get is x = Re [√2.414 e^i0.6155t e^iwt ] is this correct?

Minhq604 said:
so i made the e^i[itex]\pi[/itex]/4 into cos([itex]\pi[/itex]/4)+sin([itex]\pi[/itex]/4) by using eulers formula. Now i calculated the complex amplitude to be √2.414.

This is the complex amplitude of what?

Related to Express the following in the form of a Complex Number

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that has two parts - a real part and an imaginary part. It is expressed in the form a + bi, where a is the real part, b is the imaginary part, and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. How do you express a complex number in the form a + bi?

To express a complex number in the form a + bi, you simply take the real number and add it to the imaginary number multiplied by the imaginary unit i. For example, the complex number 3 + 2i can be expressed as a complex number in the form 3 + 2i.

3. What is the purpose of expressing a number in the form of a complex number?

Expressing a number in the form of a complex number allows us to combine real and imaginary numbers in mathematical equations, making it easier to solve problems in areas such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

4. How do you perform arithmetic operations on complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. To multiply complex numbers, use the distributive property and the fact that i² = -1. To divide complex numbers, use the conjugate of the denominator to rationalize it.

5. Can complex numbers be graphed on a 2-dimensional plane?

Yes, complex numbers can be graphed on a 2-dimensional plane called the complex plane. The real part of the complex number is represented on the x-axis and the imaginary part is represented on the y-axis. The point where the two axes intersect is the origin, and the complex number can be plotted as a point on the plane from there.