Express power sums in terms of elementary symmetric function

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of the sum of the $k$ th power of $n$ variables and how it can be written as a sum of elementary symmetric polynomials. The use of Newton's identities is mentioned, and there is a solution provided using a remark in the theorem proving algorithm. However, there is confusion about the meaning of the remark and its source. A link to a similar question on Stack Exchange is also provided.
Yiming Xu
The sum of the $k$ th power of n variables $\sum_{i=1}^{i=n} x_i^k$ is a symmetric polynomial, so it can be written as a sum of the elementary symmetric polynomials.

I do know about the Newton's identities, but just with the algorithm of proving the symmetric function theorem, what should we do with $k=1,2,3,4$ and an arbitary $n$? Here seems to be a solution, with the usage of a remark of proving the theorem using the algorithm. But I cannot understand what does the remark actually meaning and where does it come from. Could someone explain? Thanks so much!

http://www-users.math.umn.edu/~Garrett/m/algebra/notes/15.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Express power sums in terms of elementary symmetric function

1. What are express power sums?

Express power sums are mathematical expressions that involve raising a set of numbers to different powers and then adding them together. For example, the expression x2 + y2 is a power sum.

2. What are elementary symmetric functions?

Elementary symmetric functions are mathematical expressions that involve adding and multiplying a set of numbers in a specific way. These functions are used to represent relationships between the roots of a polynomial equation and its coefficients.

3. How are power sums and elementary symmetric functions related?

Power sums can be expressed in terms of elementary symmetric functions, and vice versa. This is because both types of expressions involve manipulating and combining a set of numbers in different ways.

4. What is the formula for expressing power sums in terms of elementary symmetric functions?

The formula for expressing power sums in terms of elementary symmetric functions is known as Newton's identities. It involves using the coefficients of a polynomial equation to create a system of equations that can be solved to find the values of the power sums.

5. What is the significance of expressing power sums in terms of elementary symmetric functions?

Expressing power sums in terms of elementary symmetric functions allows us to simplify and solve polynomial equations more easily. It also helps us understand the relationships between the roots and coefficients of these equations.