Express electrostatic energy in terms of both charges

In summary, the question involves a capacitor made of two concentric conducting spheres with charges q and -q on the inner and outer spheres, respectively. The electrostatic energy can be expressed in terms of q and -q and the potential difference between them using Gauss's Law and the equations for electrostatic potential and energy stored in a static electric field. The resulting expression is W = q/2 * Δφ, where Δφ is the potential difference. However, the use of q and -q in the question is unclear as they are equal and opposite, and using just q would suffice.
jfy4

Homework Statement

For two concentric conducting spheres (radius a and b, b>a) that form a capacitor with charge q on the inner sphere and -q on the outer sphere, express the electrostatic energy in terms of q and -q and the potential difference between them.

Homework Equations

Gauss's Law, the equation for electrostatic potential, the equation for the energy stored in a static electric field.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the field
[tex]
\vec{E}=\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0 r^2}\hat{r}
[/tex]
between the conductors, but when I calculate the energy, should I only integrate between the spheres?
[tex]
W=\frac{\epsilon_0}{2}\int E^2 d\tau=\frac{q^2}{8\pi\epsilon_0}\int_{a}^{b}\frac{1}{r^2}dr=\frac{q^2}{8\pi\epsilon_0}\left( \frac{1}{a}-\frac{1}{b} \right)
[/tex]

Then to express it in terms of the original charges and the potential difference,
[tex]
\Delta\phi=\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\left(\frac{1}{a}-\frac{1}{b}\right)
[/tex]
then
[tex]
W=\frac{q}{2}\Delta\phi
[/tex]
but how would I write this in terms of the charges? Does it want me to split it up like
[tex]
q=\frac{1}{2}(q-(-q))
[/tex]
and put this in the above equation?

Thanks in advance,

Physics news on Phys.org
jfy4 said:
between the conductors, but when I calculate the energy, should I only integrate between the spheres?

Isn't the electric field zero at every other point?

You have calculated a 1-dimensional integral here.
Shouldn't you integrate over 3-dimensional space?

jfy4 said:
but how would I write this in terms of the charges? Does it want me to split it up like
[tex]
q=\frac{1}{2}(q-(-q))
[/tex]
and put this in the above equation?

Thanks in advance,

The phrasing of your problem implies that q and -q are equal and opposite.
It's a bit weird that the problem asks for you to use q and -q, since "just" q should suffice.

Yeah that seems reasonable, from Gauss' law.

I integrated the phi and theta parts in the background, sorry I wasn't more explicit, the constants out front should already reflect those integrals being done.

yeah, I don't know how to interpret the question about the q and -q, that's why I brought it here lol.

Related to Express electrostatic energy in terms of both charges

1. What is electrostatic energy?

Electrostatic energy is the potential energy that results from the interaction of charged particles or objects. It is the energy stored in an electric field.

2. How is electrostatic energy expressed?

Electrostatic energy is typically expressed in joules (J) or electron volts (eV). It can also be expressed in terms of electric potential, which is measured in volts (V).

3. What is the formula for calculating electrostatic energy?

The formula for calculating electrostatic energy is E = k(q1*q2)/r, where E is the electrostatic energy, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two objects, and r is the distance between the charges.

4. How do you express electrostatic energy in terms of one charge?

If only one charge is present, the electrostatic energy can be expressed as E = k(q^2)/r, where q is the charge and r is the distance from the charge.

5. Can electrostatic energy be negative?

Yes, electrostatic energy can be negative. This occurs when the two charges have opposite signs, resulting in an attractive force between them. A negative value for electrostatic energy indicates that energy has been released from the system.