Express a vector in a rotated coordinate system

In summary, to express a vector in a rotated coordinate system, one can rotate the vector in the original coordinate system by the negative of the rotation angle. This is equivalent to rotating the coordinate system itself.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi

I have a coordinate system (x', y') and a vector v'=(1, 0) here. There is a different coordinate system (x, y), which is rotated about the y-axis relative to (x', y') by an angle Ω. I am trying to express v' in the system (x, y).

At first what I tried to do was to rotate v' by an angle Ω around the y-axis by a rotation matrix, but then it occurred to me that this only rotates the vector, it does not express it in the system (x, y). Can I get a hint to how to achieve this?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Expressing a vector in a coordinate system that has been rotated by angle [itex]\theta[/itex] is the same as rotating the vector, in the original coordinate system by [itex]-\theta[/itex].

For example, if I rotate coordinate system x'y' by 90 degrees, counterclock wise, then the new positive x-axis is the old y'-axis and the new positive y-axis is the old negative x'-axis. (1, 0) becomes (0, -1), exactly the same as rotating the vector itself 90 degrees clockwise.

Likes 1 person
I see, that makes good sense. Thanks for helping me out these past days.

Related to Express a vector in a rotated coordinate system

1. What is a vector in a rotated coordinate system?

A vector in a rotated coordinate system is a mathematical representation of a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. In a rotated coordinate system, the axes are rotated from their original position, which changes the orientation of the vector.

2. How do you express a vector in a rotated coordinate system?

To express a vector in a rotated coordinate system, you must first determine the angle of rotation and the new orientation of the axes. Then, you can use the trigonometric functions sine and cosine to calculate the components of the vector in the new coordinate system.

3. What is the formula for expressing a vector in a rotated coordinate system?

The formula for expressing a vector in a rotated coordinate system is v' = Rv, where v' is the vector in the new coordinate system, R is the rotation matrix, and v is the vector in the original coordinate system.

4. Why is it important to express a vector in a rotated coordinate system?

It is important to express a vector in a rotated coordinate system because it allows for easier calculations and analysis of the vector in the new orientation. It also allows for the comparison of vectors in different coordinate systems.

5. What are some real-world applications of expressing vectors in a rotated coordinate system?

Expressing vectors in a rotated coordinate system is used in many fields including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to analyze forces and motion in three-dimensional space, to design and build structures, and to create and manipulate 3D objects in computer graphics.