We know e (exponential) is a irrational number

In summary, we know that e (exponential) is an irrational number and we can prove it through various methods. One way is by calculating e using an infinite series of non-repeating rational numbers, which results in an irrational sum. Another way is by proving that e cannot be written as a fraction through the use of Taylor's series. It can also be shown using a theorem that if there exists a function that is continuous and positive on a certain interval and its iterated anti-derivatives can be taken to be integer valued at the endpoints, then the number is irrational. Finally, we can also use a proof similar to the one used for proving pi is irrational to show that e is irrational. In conclusion, e cannot be written
newton1
we know e (exponential) is a irrational number...
how can we prove it??

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The way we calculate e can be similar to Pi.
One way yields an infinite series of non-repeating rational numbers. The sum is therefore irrational.

Try proving the sqrt(5) is irrational.

Emu, do you know of any way of proving directly that the digits in the decimal expansion of e are NOT repeating? I'm not saying it can't be done, only that I think it's easier to prove e cannot be written as a fraction.

One standard method is to use the Taylor's series (which may be what emu meant): e= 1+ 1/2 + 1/6+ ...+ 1/n!+ ...
If j is any positve integer then e*j!= integer+ 1/(q+1)+ 1/(q+1)(q+2)+ ... which is not an integer so e cannot be written as a fraction with denominator j for any j.

A theorem I saw years ago was this: If c> 0, and there exist a function f(x), continuous on [0,c], positive on (0,c) and such that f(x) and its iterated anti-derivatives can be taken to be integer valued at both 0 and c, the c is irrational!

Taking f(x)= sin(x) in this theorem shows that pi is irrational.

It can also be used to prove: If c is a positive number other than 1 and ln(c) is rational, then c is irrational.

Since e is a positive number, not equal to 1, and ln(e)= 1 is rational, it follows that e is irrational.

While e cannot be written as a fraction, e to its first 2 million decimal places can. I'm just not going to.

e*j!= integer+ 1/(q+1)+ 1/(q+1)(q+2)+ ... which is not an integer

That's not obvious... I don't see why the infinite sequence there cannot add up to an integral value.

Hurkyl

Let An=1+1/2!+...+1/n!;
It's quite simple to prove that 1/(n+1)!<e-An<1/(n!*n);
Let's suppose e is rational, so it's equal to p/q, where p and q are integers.
1/(n+1)!<e-(1+1/2!+...+1/n!)<1/(n!*n); | *n!;
1/(n+1)<n!*p/q-n!*(1+1/2!+...+1/n!)<1/n;
But between 1/(n+1) and 1/n is no integer...
n!*p/q must be an integer because for n big enough n! is a multiple of q;
So e is not rational...
QED

that's kind of a neat prove, thanks for posting it. I don't think I would've caught that last part about for n big enough...

thank you...:)

e-An<1/(n!*n)

That bit isn't obvious either... but the ordinary taylor remainder formula gives e/(n+1)! for that term which is sufficient for the proof. Don't tell me how to get that end of the inequality, it'd be a good exercise to figure it out myself!

Hurkyl

What is an irrational number?

An irrational number is a real number that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. This means that it cannot be written as a simple fraction, and its decimal representation is non-terminating and non-repeating.

What is e (exponential)?

e, also known as Euler's number, is a mathematical constant that is approximately equal to 2.71828. It is a fundamental constant in calculus and is often used in exponential growth and decay equations.

How do we know that e is an irrational number?

The proof that e is an irrational number was first given by Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler in the 18th century. It involves using the properties of limits and infinite series to show that e cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers.

Why is it important to know that e is an irrational number?

Knowing that e is irrational is important in mathematics because it allows us to use it as a base for logarithms and exponential functions. It also has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.

Are there any other irrational numbers related to e?

Yes, there are several other irrational numbers that are related to e, such as pi (π) and the golden ratio (φ). These numbers have their own unique properties and are also commonly used in mathematical equations and formulas.