Exponents Notation: Multiplying, Dividing, & Parentheses

In summary, the traditional notation for exponents indicates that the base is only the number immediately preceding the exponent. The use of parentheses is necessary when raising a "whole expression" to a power. Additionally, when dealing with real numbers, the base should be positive when raising to fractional powers. The order of operations is also important when calculating with exponents.
C0nfused
Hi
I have a small question about exponents: when we write a^x (i will write it this way but i talk about the traditional notation) this means that the base is only a? I mean that if we have ba^x or -a^x then then these are equal to b(a^x) and -(a^x) ? These are also because of the order of operations? Generally if we want a "whole expression" to be raised in a power then we have to write it in a parentheses? So for example -2^2=-4 but (-2)^2=4 ?
So we calculate this exponent and then do multiplications, divisions etc..?
Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
i agree with you. i.e. i use the notation as you have said.

one remark: if you intend also to raise your base to fractional powers, like 1/2,

then you are particularly advised that, if you are dealing with real numbers, the base should be positive, since (-1)^*1/2) is not a real number.

i.e. in ordinary calculus courses about real numbers, in first and second year in most US universities, a^x should only be used when a is positive (or zero). I.e. if you intend a^x to be a function defiend for all real numbers x, or even for all rational numbers x, then a should be positive.

Yes, it is based on "order of operations". -22= - 2*2= -4 because exponentiation takes precedence: it is -(2)(2). (-2)2= (-2)(-2)= 4 because of the parentheses.

Related to Exponents Notation: Multiplying, Dividing, & Parentheses

1. What is the purpose of using exponents notation?

Exponents notation is used to represent repeated multiplication or division in a more concise and efficient way. It allows us to express large or small numbers without writing out all the individual factors.

2. How do you multiply numbers with exponents?

To multiply numbers with exponents, you simply add the exponents when the base is the same. For example, 23 * 24 = 27.

3. Can you divide numbers with exponents?

Yes, you can divide numbers with exponents by subtracting the exponents when the base is the same. For example, 25 / 22 = 23.

4. Why do we use parentheses in exponents notation?

Parentheses are used in exponents notation to indicate the order of operations. They help to clarify which operations should be performed first when there are multiple exponents involved.

5. How can exponents notation be used to represent negative exponents?

A negative exponent indicates the reciprocal of the base raised to the positive exponent. For example, 2-3 = 1 / 23 = 1/8. Exponents notation allows us to easily represent and calculate with negative exponents.