Exponential projection operator in Dirac formalism

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of a series representation of the operator \hat{O} using two projection operators and the series representation of e^x. The attempt at a solution includes an expression for O and the computation of <+|\hat{O}|+>, with the conclusion that it is equal to e^{i\alpha}. The conversation also mentions the use of the identity matrix and the orthonormality of the kets.
Dixanadu

Homework Statement

Hey guys.

So here's the situation:
Consider the Hilbert space [itex]H_{\frac{1}{2}}[/itex], which is spanned by the orthonormal kets [itex]|j,m_{j}>[/itex] with [itex]j=\frac{1}{2}, m_{j}=(\frac{1}{2},-\frac{1}{2})[/itex]. Let [itex] |+> = |\frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2}>[/itex] and [itex]|->=|\frac{1}{2},-\frac{1}{2}>[/itex]. Define the following two projection operators:

[itex]\hat{P}_{+}=|+><+|[/itex] and [itex]\hat{P}_{-}=|-><-|[/itex].

Now consider the operator [itex]\hat{O}=e^{i\alpha \hat{P}_{+}+i\beta \hat{P}_{-}}[/itex].

Compute the following:

[itex]<+|\hat{O}|+>[/itex]

[itex]<-|\hat{O}|->[/itex]

[itex]<-|\hat{O}|+>[/itex]

Homework Equations

orthonormality stuff: <+|+> = <-|-> = 1, <-|+> = <+|-> = 0.

Series representation of e^x:

[itex]e^{x}=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{k}}{k!}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So here's what I've done. Of course you gota represent the operator O in a nicer way, and this is what I need to know if I've done right:

[itex]e^{i\alpha \hat{P}_{+}}=I+(i\alpha) \hat{P}_{+} + \frac{(i\alpha)^{2}}{2}\hat{P}_{+}+...=I+\hat{P}_{+}(i\alpha + \frac{(i\alpha)^2}{2}+...)=I+\hat{P}_{+}(e^{i\alpha}-1)[/itex]

Similarly:

[itex]e^{i\beta \hat{P}_{-}}=I+\hat{P}_{-}(e^{i\beta}-1)[/itex]

where [itex]I[/itex] is the identity matrix. Now, O is a product of these two:

[itex]\hat{O}=[I+\hat{P}_{+}(e^{i\alpha}-1)][I+\hat{P}_{-}(e^{i\beta}-1)]=I+\hat{P}_{+}(e^{i\alpha}-1)+\hat{P}_{-}(e^{i\beta}-1)[/itex]

because the cross-terms in the product vanish as [itex]\hat{P}_{+}\hat{P}_{-}=0[/itex]

So that's my expression for O. Using that, I find that

[itex]<+|\hat{O}|+>=e^{i\alpha}[/itex]. I haven't done the rest yet, but is this one right guys...?

please tell me if I've made any math errors!

Physics news on Phys.org
Dixanadu said:
[itex]e^{i\alpha \hat{P}_{+}}=I+(i\alpha) \hat{P}_{+} + \frac{(i\alpha)^{2}}{2}\hat{P}_{+}+...=I+\hat{P}_{+}(i\alpha + \frac{(i\alpha)^2}{2}+...)=I+\hat{P}_{+}(e^{i\alpha}-1)[/itex]

Hi.
That's right because ([itex]\hat{P}[/itex][itex]_{\pm}[/itex])[itex]^{n}[/itex] = [itex]\hat{P}[/itex][itex]_{\pm}[/itex], otherwise you would have to determine all exponents of the operators.
You're good so far!

Related to Exponential projection operator in Dirac formalism

1. What is the exponential projection operator in Dirac formalism?

The exponential projection operator in Dirac formalism is a mathematical tool used to describe the time evolution of a quantum system. It is represented by the symbol e^(-iHt), where H is the Hamiltonian operator and t is time. This operator projects the initial state of a system onto the state at a later time, allowing for the prediction of future states.

2. How does the exponential projection operator work?

The exponential projection operator works by acting on the initial state vector of a quantum system and transforming it into the state at a later time. It does this by incorporating the Hamiltonian operator, which describes the energy of the system, and the time variable into the mathematical expression e^(-iHt).

3. What is the significance of the exponential projection operator in quantum mechanics?

The exponential projection operator is a fundamental tool in quantum mechanics, as it allows for the prediction of future states of a system. It also plays a crucial role in calculations of observables and probabilities in quantum mechanics.

4. Are there any limitations to using the exponential projection operator?

One limitation of the exponential projection operator is that it only works for systems in which the Hamiltonian operator is time-independent. In more complex systems, such as those with time-varying potentials, the exponential projection operator may not accurately predict future states.

5. Can the exponential projection operator be used in other areas of physics?

Yes, the exponential projection operator can also be applied in other areas of physics, such as statistical mechanics and classical mechanics. In these fields, it is used to calculate the time evolution of a system with a time-independent Hamiltonian.