Exponential of jordan form involving distinct eigenvalues

In summary, the exponential of a Jordan form with distinct eigenvalues along the diagonal can be calculated by using the formula e^J=diag(e^{B(\lambda_i)}), where B(λi) is the jordan block corresponding to each eigenvalue. This is possible because the exponential of a block diagonal matrix is the block diagonal matrix of exponentials. The top right terms of the Jordan blocks can be obtained by using the formula e^D = diag(e^D) and e^N = I + N, where D is diagonal and N is nilpotent.
JamesGoh
For a Jordan form (which is a direct sum of individual jordan blocks) that has distinct eigenvalues along the diagonal, how would the exponential of the Jordan form be calculated ?

As far as I am aware the formula for calculating the exponential of a jordan block can only involve one eigenvalue, so how would this work for the case of a matrix having distinct eigenvalues ?

Physics news on Phys.org
If J is a jordan matrix with block diagonal B(λ1),...,B(λn), use the notation J=diag(B(λi)). Notice that Jk=diag(B(λi)k). By definition,

[tex]e^J=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{J^k}{k!}=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{\mathrm{diag}(B(\lambda_i)^k)}{k!}= \mathrm{diag} \left( \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{B( \lambda_i)^k}{k!}\right)=\mathrm{diag}(e^{B( \lambda_i)})[/tex]

More generally, the exponential of a block diagonal matrix is the block diagonal matrix of exponentials.

To take a simple example,
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 2 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 2\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
is a Jordan matrix for a matrix having eigenvalues 1 and 2 (each with geometric multiplicity 2).
You can think of it as made of the two "elementary" Jordan matrices
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 \\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
and
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 2 & 1 \\ 0 & 2\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

The exponential of the first is, of course,
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}e & e \\ 0 & e\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
and of the second
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}e^2 & e^2 \\ 0 & e^2\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
so it should be no surprise that the exponential of the original matrix is
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}e & e & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & e & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & e^2 & e^2 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & e^2\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

I thought that you can only produce an exponential of a matrix if it's in diagaonalisable form only ?

How did you get the top right terms of both the individual Jordan matrices to be exponents ?

JamesGoh said:
I thought that you can only produce an exponential of a matrix if it's in diagaonalisable form only ?

How did you get the top right terms of both the individual Jordan matrices to be exponents ?

Not at all, finding the exponential of a Jordan canonical form is easy.
Indeed, in the Jordan canonical form, we are dealing with matrices of the form D+N, where D is diagonal and where N is nilpotent. If we have that DN=ND, then we have that

[tex]e^{D+N}=e^De^N[/tex]

The exponential of D can be easily find since it is diagonal. The exponential of N is also easy. Indeed, we know that [itex]N^k=0[/itex] for a certain k, so

[tex]e^N=I+N+\frac{N^2}{2}+...+\frac{N^{k-1}}{(k-1)!}[/tex]

which is a finite sum!

In the case [tex]A=\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 1\\ 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0\\ 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}+\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1\\ 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix}=D+N[/tex]

We see that

[tex]e^D=\begin{pmatrix} e & 0\\ 0 & e \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Furthermore, we know that [itex]N^2=0[/itex], so

[tex]e^N=I+N=\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 1\\ 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

We get that

[tex]e^A=e^De^N=\begin{pmatrix} e & 0\\ 0 & e \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 1\\ 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} e & e\\ 0 & e \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Related to Exponential of jordan form involving distinct eigenvalues

1. How do I find the exponential of a Jordan form involving distinct eigenvalues?

The exponential of a Jordan form involving distinct eigenvalues can be found by first diagonalizing the Jordan form, then taking the exponential of each diagonal element. The resulting matrix can then be transformed back into the original Jordan form to obtain the exponential of the original matrix.

2. Why is the exponential of a Jordan form involving distinct eigenvalues important?

The exponential of a Jordan form involving distinct eigenvalues is important because it allows us to easily compute the exponential of a matrix, which is often needed in various applications such as differential equations and signal processing.

3. Can the exponential of a Jordan form involving distinct eigenvalues be simplified?

Yes, the exponential of a Jordan form involving distinct eigenvalues can be simplified by using the properties of exponential functions. For example, if the matrix has a repeated eigenvalue, the exponential of the Jordan block can be written as a power series, which can then be simplified using known properties of power series.

4. How does the number of distinct eigenvalues affect the exponential of a Jordan form?

The number of distinct eigenvalues does not affect the computation of the exponential of a Jordan form. However, it does affect the structure of the Jordan form, as the number of distinct eigenvalues determines the number of Jordan blocks and their sizes.

5. Can the exponential of a Jordan form involving distinct eigenvalues be approximated?

Yes, the exponential of a Jordan form involving distinct eigenvalues can be approximated using various numerical methods, such as Taylor series or Pade approximation. These methods can provide a good approximation of the exponential function for a given matrix, especially when the matrix is large and computing the exact exponential is not feasible.