Exponential Growth And Composite Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses questions about a problem set and the process of finding the rate of spread of a rumor and the coordinates for horizontal tangent lines on a curve. The first question involves using a given equation to find the rate of spread while the second question involves finding the points on a curve where the tangent is horizontal by setting the derivative equal to zero. The conversation also mentions the use of the chain rule and product rule in solving equation 1b and the process of finding the solutions for the second question by using a triangle and computing the arcsin of -1/2.
ardentmed
Hey guys,

Few more questions for the problem set I've been working on. I'm doubting some of my answers and I'd appreciate some help.

Question:

erxtl4.png

The first one starts off easy but I found that it gets progress more challenging later on. So the rate of spread should be p'(t) which is:

p'(t) = 5/[e^.5t * (1+10e^(-.5t))^2]As for 1b, I just used chain rule and product rule together to get:

f''(x) = 6xy'(x^2) + 4(x^3)g''(x^2)And finally, for the second question, if the tangent it horizontal, then dy/dx = 0, right?

Therefore, you solve for x, which leads you to:

sinx=-1
x=arcsin(-1)
x= -π/2Which leads to ( -π/2 , 0 ) as the co-ordinates after substituting x = -π/2 into the original function.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
ardentmed said:
Hey guys, ...And finally, for the second question, if the tangent it horizontal, then dy/dx = 0, right?

sinx=-1
x=arcsin(-1)
x= -π/2Which leads to ( -π/2 , 0 ) as the co-ordinates after substituting x = -π/2 into the original function.

Thanks in advance.

For the second question:

$$y'=-\frac{\mathrm{sin}\left( x\right) }{\mathrm{sin}\left( x\right) +2}-\frac{{\mathrm{cos}\left( x\right) }^{2}}{{\left( \mathrm{sin}\left( x\right) +2\right) }^{2}}$$

so: $y'=0$ means:

$$\begin{aligned}
-\frac{\mathrm{sin}\left( x\right) }{2+\mathrm{sin}\left( x\right) }-\frac{{\mathrm{cos}\left( x\right) }^{2}}{{\left( 2+ \mathrm{sin}\left( x\right) \right) }^{2}}&=0,\\
\sin(x)(2+\sin(x))+(\cos(x))^2&=0,\\
2\sin(x)+1&=0,\\
\sin(x)&=-1/2 \dots
\end{aligned} $$

Horizontal Tangent Lines

Question 1: =Under certain circumstances a rumor spreads according to the equation p(t) = 1/(1+10e^(−0.5t)) ,
where p(t) is the proportion of the population that knows the rumor at time t.
constants.
Find the rate of spread of the rumor.

Question 2: Find the coordinates for the points on the curve where y= cos(x)/(2+sin(x)) $0\le x\le 2\pi $ is horizontal. The first one starts off easy but I found that it gets progress more challenging later on. So the rate of spread should be p'(t) which is:

p'(t) = 5/[e^.5t * (1+10e^(-.5t))^2]As for 1b, I just used chain rule and product rule together to get:

f''(x) = 6xy'(x^2) + 4(x^3)g''(x^2)And finally, for the second question, if the tangent it horizontal, then dy/dx = 0, right?

sinx=-1
x=arcsin(-1)

Thanks in advance.

zzephod said:
For the second question:

$$y'=-\frac{\mathrm{sin}\left( x\right) }{\mathrm{sin}\left( x\right) +2}-\frac{{\mathrm{cos}\left( x\right) }^{2}}{{\left( \mathrm{sin}\left( x\right) +2\right) }^{2}}$$

so: $y'=0$ means:

$$\begin{aligned}
-\frac{\mathrm{sin}\left( x\right) }{2+\mathrm{sin}\left( x\right) }-\frac{{\mathrm{cos}\left( x\right) }^{2}}{{\left( 2+ \mathrm{sin}\left( x\right) \right) }^{2}}&=0,\\
\sin(x)(2+\sin(x))+(\cos(x))^2&=0,\\
2\sin(x)+1&=0,\\
\sin(x)&=-1/2 \dots
\end{aligned} $$
Alright, so with that in mind, I re-did the question and computed:

arcsin(-1/2) = x

Thus,

x= 11$\pi$ /6, 7$\pi$ / 6.

Giving the points

(11$\pi$ /6, 2/√3) and (7$\pi$ / 6 , -2/√3)

I agree with your derivation of $p'(t)$, but do not see question 1b).

For the second question, yes, we want to require \(\displaystyle \d{y}{x}=0\). But, you have not found the correct condition, and since you have not shown your work, I have no idea where you went wrong. Please show your work in computing the derivative.

I have merged two threads together since they are the same questions. Do you see how double posting lead to me duplicating the efforts of zzephod? I value my time, and don't want to see it wasted, nor do I want to see the time of others wasted as well.

Please do not create a new thread dealing with questions you have already posted.

MarkFL said:
I agree with your derivation of $p'(t)$, but do not see question 1b).

For the second question, yes, we want to require \(\displaystyle \d{y}{x}=0\). But, you have not found the correct condition, and since you have not shown your work, I have no idea where you went wrong. Please show your work in computing the derivative.
My apologies for the oversight.

Regardless, I did it again and came up with the same answer:

arcsin(-1/2) = x

Therefore, this value can be computed by drawing out the 45 degree triangle with 1-1-√2 sides. Therefore, the solutions should be 2π - π/4 = 11π /6, and π + π/4 = 7π / 6

Thus,

x= 11π /6, 7π / 6.

Giving the points

(11π /6, 2/√3) and (7π / 6 , -2/√3)

Related to Exponential Growth And Composite Functions

1. What is exponential growth in mathematics?

Exponential growth is a type of growth where the quantity or value of a variable increases at a constant rate over time. This means that the growth of the variable is proportional to its current value. Exponential growth is often represented by an equation of the form y = ab^x, where a is the initial value and b is the growth factor.

2. How is exponential growth different from linear growth?

Exponential growth and linear growth are two different types of growth patterns. In linear growth, the quantity or value of a variable increases by a fixed amount over time. This means that the growth is constant and can be represented by a straight line on a graph. In contrast, exponential growth increases at an increasing rate, resulting in a curved line on a graph.

3. What are some real-life examples of exponential growth?

Some real-life examples of exponential growth include population growth, compound interest, and the spread of diseases. In population growth, the number of individuals in a population increases at a rate that is proportional to the current population size. In compound interest, the amount of interest earned increases at a rate that is proportional to the current balance. In the case of diseases, the number of infected individuals increases at a rate that is proportional to the number of current infections.

4. What is a composite function?

A composite function is a function that is composed of two or more other functions. This means that the output of one function becomes the input of another function. In mathematical notation, a composite function can be represented as f(g(x)) or g(f(x)), where f and g are two different functions. Composite functions are useful for modeling complex relationships between variables.

5. How do you find the composite of two functions?

To find the composite of two functions, you first need to determine the individual functions and their respective inputs and outputs. Then, plug the output of one function into the input of the other function. For example, if f(x) = 2x and g(x) = x^2, the composite function would be f(g(x)) = 2(x^2) = 2x^2. This means that the output of g(x) becomes the input of f(x). The resulting composite function can then be simplified or evaluated as needed.