Exponential Growth- Am I doing this right?

In summary, the initial population of Athens was 100,000 at the end of 2010 with a relative growth rate of 2% per year. To calculate the population at t=0.5 years after the end of 2010, the equation y=A(1+b)^t can be used, where A is the initial population, b is the growth factor, and t is the time. The correct calculation for the population at t=0.5 years after 2010 is y=100,000(1+0.02)^0.5 = 100,995.0. This is a continuous process and can be solved using a differential equation.
Lo.Lee.Ta.
1. Let's say that at the end of 2010, the population of Athens was 100,000. Let's also say that the relative growth rate of the population was 2% per year.
What's the population at t = 0.5 years after the end of 2010?

2. To solve this sort of problem, I thought I'd have to use: y= A(1+b)t

A is the initial population

b is the growth factor

t is the timeI thought that since the population growth rate was 2% per year, the growth factor would have to be (.001 + 1).

I figured out the .001 by saying: (.2%/yr) = (x/.5yr)
x= .1% or .001
(.1%/100%) = .001 = b

y= 100,000(1 + .001).5

y= (100,000)(1.001)

y= 100,100 people

Is this right?
Thanks for the help! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Lo.Lee.Ta. said:
1. Let's say that at the end of 2010, the population of Athens was 100,000. Let's also say that the relative growth rate of the population was 2% per year.
What's the population at t = 0.5 years after the end of 2010?

2. To solve this sort of problem, I thought I'd have to use: y= A(1+b)t

A is the initial population

b is the growth factor

t is the time

I thought that since the population growth rate was 2% per year, the growth factor would have to be (.001 + 1).

I figured out the .001 by saying: (.2%/yr) = (x/.5yr)
You're mixing up percentages and decimal numbers. .2% is a small fraction of 1%.
Lo.Lee.Ta. said:
x= .1% or .001
(.1%/100%) = .001 = b

y= 100,000(1 + .001).5

y= (100,000)(1.001)

y= 100,100 people

Is this right?
Thanks for the help! :)

As a check, try calculating the population after 1 year. Does the result seem reasonable in relation to your answer for 6 months? (Hint: it isn't.)
But there's a subtler problem. Over such a timescale, population growth is approximately a continuous process. That is, in a small time δt, the population will increase by a factor 1+λδt. That gives you a differential equation. Solve that, then use the annual growth rate to determine λ.

What a minute. Wouldn't my whole (.2%/1yr)=(x /100%) be unnecessary in the first place?

Wouldn't I need to do (2%/100%) = .02

Shouldn't it instead be: y= 100,000(1 + .02).5 ?

y= (100,000)(1.00995)

y= 100,995.0

Lo.Lee.Ta. said:
What a minute. Wouldn't my whole (.2%/1yr)=(x /100%) be unnecessary in the first place?

Wouldn't I need to do (2%/100%) = .02

Shouldn't it instead be: y= 100,000(1 + .02).5 ?

y= (100,000)(1.00995)

y= 100,995.0
Yes, that's fine.

Oh, okay. Thank you! :D

Related to Exponential Growth- Am I doing this right?

1. What is exponential growth?

Exponential growth is a type of growth that occurs when the growth rate of a quantity is proportional to its current size. This means that as the quantity increases, the growth rate also increases, resulting in a rapid and continuous rise in the value of the quantity.

2. How do I know if I am correctly calculating exponential growth?

To calculate exponential growth, you need to have a starting value, a growth rate, and a time period. The formula for calculating exponential growth is: y = a(1+r)^t, where y is the final value, a is the initial value, r is the growth rate, and t is the time period. Make sure to use the correct formula and plug in the appropriate values to ensure accurate calculations.

3. What are some real-life examples of exponential growth?

Some examples of exponential growth in the real world include population growth, the spread of diseases, and compound interest in finance. These situations involve a constant growth rate leading to a rapid increase in quantity over time.

4. How can I graph exponential growth?

To graph exponential growth, you can use a coordinate plane and plot points using the formula y = a(1+r)^t, where a is the initial value, r is the growth rate, and t is the time period. You can also use a graphing calculator or spreadsheet software to create a graph of exponential growth.

5. What are some limitations of exponential growth?

Exponential growth is based on the assumption that the growth rate will remain constant over time, which is not always the case in the real world. Additionally, exponential growth cannot continue indefinitely as it eventually reaches a limit or maximum value. Other factors such as competition, limited resources, and external influences can also impact the growth rate in real-life scenarios.