National Intelligence and Suicide Rates

• Thread starter Carlos Hernandez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intelligence
In summary, the conversation revolved around Carlos Hernandez's posting style on a forum about evolutionary psychology. Some members questioned the validity of his sources and recommended that he engage in more rational debate instead of simply summarizing and posting articles from other sources. Others found his posts annoying and detrimental to the purpose of the forum. Carlos defended his posting style and sources, stating that everything he posts has been researched by reputable universities and professors. The conversation also touched on Carlos' beliefs about the breeding patterns of intelligent versus less intelligent individuals.
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you find it strange that they didn't look for a correlation between stress and suicide rates?

carlos, i think you need to state your thoughts instead of others to validate what you think, thus earning your post count and respect in the forums...

Originally posted by Kerrie
carlos, i think you need to state your thoughts instead of others to validate what you think, thus earning your post count and respect in the forums...

Feel free to set my post count to zero, and to even keep it there for ever, if it pleases you. I don't care to "show off" my post count, it is irrelevant to me.

Also, it is irrelevant to me if one feels respect for me or not, I am just here to engage in rational debate, not to make friends.

Finally, why write up my own essays when other's have already done the work? That would not be practical. And making reference to the fact that I use other people's article's is a red herring (argumentative fallacy). the only thing that matters is the content of the information I post.

But I do appreciate your input, I always welcome cricicism.

Thank you.

Carlos Hernandez

Last edited:
Carlos, the problem is you are not posting factual information and you are not engaging in rational debate.

From reading through the threads you have posted, you are a member of a small paranoid group of people that fears they will be overrun by people of lower IQ's that you think are reproducing too fast (which, by the way, is not true, yes I have references).

You don't want to debate. You lose control any time someone questions your beliefs.

I find your posts annoying and detrimental to the purpose of this forum.

Originally posted by Evo
Carlos, the problem is you are not posting factual information and you are not engaging in rational debate.

Everything I post has been researched by actual universities. So, what you are saying is that you believe that the universities themselves are wrong. That is fine, you are entitled to such an opinion.

Yes, I am engaging in rational debate, see http://www.infidels.org/news/atheism/logic.html

From reading through the threads you have posted, you are a member of a small paranoid group of people that fears they will be overrun by people of lower IQ's that you think are reproducing too fast (which, by the way, is not true, yes I have references)..

It is irrelevant whether I am "paranoid" or not, which is a red herring and ad hominem fallacy. The only thing that matters is the data I post. If you want to post counter-data, then do so.

You don't want to debate. You lose control any time someone questions your beliefs.

Please explain in further detail what you mean by "lose control."

I find your posts annoying and detrimental to the purpose of this forum.

You are entitled to find the data I post annoying.

My topics deal with social science, thus they are on topic.

Regards,

Carlos Hernandez

Last edited:
Originally posted by Carlos Hernandez
Everything I post has been researched by actual universities. So, what you are saying is that you believe that the universities themselves are wrong. That is fine, you are entitled to such an opinion.

Not true.

University of Chicago Study: The Stupid are Outbreeding the Smart
See http://neko.mi.org/~tawollen/humor/msg02033.html

Regards,

Carlos Hernandez
Originally posted by Evo
Yeah, well since this is a joke...made up, not real..just for humor, what's your point?

Originally posted by Monique

Carlos, it is time for yourself to become intelligent and stop linking us to not so clever sites.

You too have been using the mechanism of overwhelming the smart with the stupid..

Yes, I am engaging in rational debate, see http://www.infidels.org/news/atheism/logic.html.

It's not a debate when you have no rational argument.

It is irrelevant whether I am "paranoid" or not, which is a red herring and ad hominem fallacy. The only thing that matters is the data I post. If you want to post counter-data, then do so.

Your "data" is "here say"

Please explain in further detail what you mean by "lose control."

You never accept that you may be wrong. You jump to criticize anyone that questions you.

You are entitled to find the data I post annoying.

My topics deal with social science, thus they are on topic.

Most of your posts are from "joke" sites. Poking fun at people like you. I'm amazed that you don't take the time to even understand what you are posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Evo
Not true.

University of Chicago Study: The Stupid are Outbreeding the Smart
See http://neko.mi.org/~tawollen/humor/msg02033.html

The article said it was backed by a university, so I posted it. If it is wrong, then fine.

You never accept that you may be wrong. You jump to criticize anyone that questions you.

I critisize when people engage in insult/name-calling and other logical fallacies.

No one has proven the data I posted was wrong as yet. But yes, I can be wrong, I just need convincing before I recant my beliefs. The link on stupid people breeding too much may very well be wrong, and is so, I will agree to that.

Most of your posts are from "joke" sites.

Everything I posted is research done by professors, for example:

http://www.ssc.uwo.ca/psychology/faculty/rushton.html [Broken]
http://www.csulb.edu/~kmacd/
http://www.udel.edu/educ/gottfredson/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evolutionary-psychology/
http://www.rlynn.co.uk/
http://www.douance.org/qi/brandbook.htm

These are all academic sites. But as I said, you are entitled to believe that they fabricated their research or made mistakes.

Regards,

Carlos Hernandez

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, it is irrelevant to me if one feels respect for me or not, I am just here to engage in rational debate, not to make friends.
Carlos, this is a scientific forum so START a rational debate, you seem not to care about your personal believes and about other's.

Learning is all about DIGESTING material, making up your mind about it, forming an OPINION.

You say you appreciate constructive criticism, but you don't take a lesson from it. The fact you are only posting links shows you have no intent in starting a rational debate.

To expand a little on what Monique and others have said here, this is a forum for discussion/debate, Carlos. You are not discussing or debating, but rather flooding the board with information that is not your own (which is borderline unacceptable here).

Citations are fine, but post links to articles, don't post the articles themselves and only then as a justification for YOUR opinion. Make your argument with YOUR opinion, YOUR logic, and in YOUR own words, using the data that YOU feel is most compelling.

What is the relationship between national intelligence and suicide rates?

The relationship between national intelligence and suicide rates is a complex and debated topic. Some studies have found a negative correlation, suggesting that higher levels of intelligence may be associated with lower suicide rates. However, other research has found no significant relationship or even a positive correlation. This may be due to various factors such as cultural differences, access to mental health resources, and the influence of other variables.

How is intelligence measured in relation to suicide rates?

Intelligence is typically measured using standardized tests such as IQ tests. These tests assess cognitive abilities such as verbal, mathematical, and spatial reasoning. In relation to suicide rates, researchers often use average IQ scores of a particular country or region as a proxy for national intelligence.

What are some potential factors that may influence the relationship between intelligence and suicide rates?

There are several potential factors that may influence the relationship between intelligence and suicide rates. These include cultural attitudes towards mental health and suicide, socioeconomic status, access to education and resources, and the prevalence of mental health disorders such as depression and anxiety.

Can intelligence be a protective factor against suicide?

Some research suggests that higher levels of intelligence may act as a protective factor against suicide. This may be due to the fact that individuals with higher intelligence may have better problem-solving skills and coping mechanisms, as well as access to resources that can help prevent suicidal thoughts and behaviors.

What are the implications of the relationship between intelligence and suicide rates?

The relationship between intelligence and suicide rates has important implications for public health and mental health interventions. Understanding the factors that contribute to this relationship can help guide the development of effective prevention and treatment strategies to reduce suicide rates and improve overall mental well-being.