Exponential Forms of Inverse Trig & Hyperbolic Functions

In summary, if you want to find the inverse of a trig function then you simply need to find the natural logarithm of both sides and you're done!
Hypnotoad
I'm try to prove some trig identities and I need to know how to write the following functions in their exponential forms:

[tex]sin^{-1}z[/tex]
[tex]cos^{-1}z[/tex]
[tex]sinh^{-1}z[/tex]
[tex]cosh^{-1}z[/tex]

I know how the sine and cosine functions are expressed with exponents, but I'm not sure how that would translate to the inverses of the functions.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the trig functions can be written in exponential form then the inverse functions would be expressible in logarithmic form!

E.g. Let

[tex]\sin z = \frac {e^{i z} - e^{-iz}}{2i}[/tex]

then solve for [itex]e^{iz}[/itex] in terms of [itex]\sin z[/itex]. Once you have your expression for [itex]e^{iz}[/itex] then just find the natural logarithm of both sides and you have your inverse function!

Just a reminder:
Since the complex logarithm is a multi-valued function (i.e, not a "usual" type of function), you must choose a branch of it to gain a "proper" inverse function.

Tide said:
If the trig functions can be written in exponential form then the inverse functions would be expressible in logarithmic form!

E.g. Let

then solve for [itex]e^{iz}[/itex] in terms of [itex]\sin z[/itex]. Once you have your expression for [itex]e^{iz}[/itex] then just find the natural logarithm of both sides and you have your inverse function!

Maybe I could get a little more help. If I start with

then I take the 2i term to the left and then take the natural log of both sides I get the following:

[tex]ln2i*sinz=ln(e^{2iz}-1)-iz[/tex]

[tex]ln(2i*sinz)+iz=ln(e^{2iz}-1)[/tex]

[tex]-2zsinz+1=e^{2iz}[/tex]

[tex]e^{iz}=(-2zsinz+1)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

But now I don't see how to use that. What I am trying to do is show that [tex]\sin^{-1}z=-iln({iz+(1-z^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}})[/tex]

Set y=sin(z).
Then:
[tex]2iye^{iz}=e^{2iz}-1[/tex]
[tex](e^{iz})^{2}-2iye^{iz}-1=0[/tex]
Or:
[tex]e^{iz}=\frac{2iy\pm\sqrt{-4y^{2}+4}}{2}[/tex]
Or:
[tex]z=sin^{-1}(y)=-iln(iy\pm\sqrt{1-y^{2}})[/tex]

arildno said:
Set y=sin(z).
Then:
[tex]2iye^{iz}=e^{2iz}-1[/tex]
[tex](e^{iz})^{2}-2iye^{iz}-1=0[/tex]
Or:
[tex]e^{iz}=\frac{2iy\pm\sqrt{-4y^{2}+4}}{2}[/tex]
Or:
[tex]z=sin^{-1}(y)=-iln(iy\pm\sqrt{1-y^{2}})[/tex]

That is unbelievably easy. Thanks for the help, guys.

Related to Exponential Forms of Inverse Trig & Hyperbolic Functions

1. What are exponential forms of inverse trigonometric functions?

Exponential forms of inverse trigonometric functions are alternative representations of inverse trigonometric functions using exponents. For example, the exponential form of inverse sine is sin-1(x) = -i ln( ix + √(1-x2 ) ).

2. How are exponential forms of inverse trigonometric functions useful?

Exponential forms of inverse trigonometric functions are useful in complex analysis and in solving differential equations. They also allow for a simpler representation of some inverse trigonometric functions when working with complex numbers.

3. What are hyperbolic functions?

Hyperbolic functions are mathematical functions that are closely related to trigonometric functions. They are used to model hyperbolic geometry and have applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

4. How are hyperbolic functions related to exponential functions?

Hyperbolic functions can be expressed in terms of exponential functions. For example, sinh(x) = (ex - e-x)/2 and cosh(x) = (ex + e-x)/2. This relationship is similar to how trigonometric functions can be expressed in terms of complex exponentials.

5. What are the inverse hyperbolic functions?

The inverse hyperbolic functions are the inverse functions of the hyperbolic functions. They are denoted by adding an "arc" prefix to the hyperbolic function (e.g. arsinh(x) for the inverse hyperbolic sine function). They can also be expressed in exponential forms, such as arsinh(x) = ln(x + √(x2+1)).