Exponential distribution, two exercises

In summary: I don't know what to say. Without the details, I cannot (or will not) comment on your computation. You are on the right track, but you are not there yet.
skrat

Homework Statement

Waiting time in a restaurant is exponentially distributed variable, with average of 4 minutes. What is the probability, that a student will in at least 4 out of 6 days get his meal in less than 3 minutes?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If I understand correctly I could say that ##f(t)=e^{-\lambda t}##, meaning ##P(t<3)=\int_{0}^{3}\omega (t)dt=\int_{0}^{3}(\frac{f(t)}{dt})dt=\int_{0}^{3}\lambda e^{-\lambda t}dt##

Ok? This is now probability that a student will get his meal in less than 3 minutes, so the probability that it would take longer is ##1-P(t<3)## and the final result should be something like ##\sum_{i=4}^{6}\begin{pmatrix}
6\\
i
\end{pmatrix}p^{i}(1-p)^{6-i}##

Does this sound right? How do I determine ##\lambda##?

Homework Statement

Elapsed time until a device suddenly stops working is exponentially distributed with median 4h. Calculate the probability, that the device will work at least for 5 hours!

Homework Equations

Very different as before, but still have no idea how to get ##\lambda##?

Physics news on Phys.org
skrat said:

Homework Statement

Waiting time in a restaurant is exponentially distributed variable, with average of 4 minutes. What is the probability, that a student will in at least 4 out of 6 days get his meal in less than 3 minutes?

Homework Equations

If I understand correctly I could say that ##f(t)=e^{-\lambda t}##, meaning ##P(t<3)=\int_{0}^{3}\omega (t)dt=\int_{0}^{3}(\frac{f(t)}{dt})dt=\int_{0}^{3}\lambda e^{-\lambda t}dt##

Ok? This is now probability that a student will get his meal in less than 3 minutes, so the probability that it would take longer is ##1-P(t<3)## and the final result should be something like ##\sum_{i=4}^{6}\begin{pmatrix}
6\\
i
\end{pmatrix}p^{i}(1-p)^{6-i}##

Does this sound right? How do I determine ##\lambda##?

Homework Statement

Elapsed time until a device suddenly stops working is exponentially distributed with median 4h. Calculate the probability, that the device will work at least for 5 hours!

Homework Equations

Very different as before, but still have no idea how to get ##\lambda##?

Your notation is unfortunate; the usual expression for the density of the exponential is
[tex]f(t) = \left\{ \begin{array}{l} \lambda e^{-\lambda t},\; t \geq 0\\
f(t) = 0, \;t < 0 \end{array} \right. [/tex] The (cumulative) distribution function is
[tex] F(t) = \int_0^t f(x) \, dx = 1 - e^{-\lambda t},[/tex]
while the complementatry cumulative is ##P\{ T > t \} = 1 - F(t) = e^{-\lambda t}.##

You get the mean by using standard formulas found in any textbook or on-line. Alternatively, you can perform the integration ##E T = \int_0^{\infty} t f(t) \, dt## and see what you get.

BTW: the easiest way to get a binomial coefficient in TeX is to use the command {n \choose m}, which gives ##{n \choose m}.##

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
Your notation is unfortunate; the usual expression for the density of the exponential is
[tex]f(t) = \left\{ \begin{array}\lambda e^{-\lambda t},\; t \geq 0\\
f(t) = 0, \;t < 0 \end{array} \right. [/tex]
That is what I had in my head. =)

Ray Vickson said:
The (cumulative) distribution function is
[tex] F(t) = \int_0^t f(x) \, dx = 1 - e^{-\lambda t},[/tex]
while the complementatry cumulative is ##P\{ T > t \} = 1 - F(t) = e^{-\lambda t}.##
Hmmm... Just cheking:##F(t)=\int_{0}^{t }f(t)dt=\int_{0}^{t }e^{-\lambda t}dt=-\frac{1}{\lambda }\int_{0}^{u_1 }e^{u}du=\frac{1}{\lambda }(1-e^{-\lambda t})##
What does ##\frac{1}{\lambda }## tell me, if anything, because I don't see it in your calculation?

Ray Vickson said:
You get the mean by using standard formulas found in any textbook or on-line. Alternatively, you can perform the integration ##E T = \int_0^{\infty} t f(t) \, dt## and see what you get.
AHA! So ##E(t)=\int_{0}^{\infty }tf(t)dt=\int_{0}^{\infty }te^{-\lambda t}dt=\frac{\lambda t+1}{\lambda ^{2}}=4## Which gives me a quadratic equation for ##\lambda## where the right soultion is with + so ##\lambda =\frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{8}##
Ray Vickson said:
BTW: the easiest way to get a binomial coefficient in TeX is to use the command {n \choose m}, which gives ##{n \choose m}.##
Thanks for helping and this hint!

skrat said:
That is what I had in my head. =)

Hmmm... Just cheking:##F(t)=\int_{0}^{t }f(t)dt=\int_{0}^{t }e^{-\lambda t}dt=-\frac{1}{\lambda }\int_{0}^{u_1 }e^{u}du=\frac{1}{\lambda }(1-e^{-\lambda t})##
What does ##\frac{1}{\lambda }## tell me, if anything, because I don't see it in your calculation?

AHA! So ##E(t)=\int_{0}^{\infty }tf(t)dt=\int_{0}^{\infty }te^{-\lambda t}dt=\frac{\lambda t+1}{\lambda ^{2}}=4## Which gives me a quadratic equation for ##\lambda## where the right soultion is with + so ##\lambda =\frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{8}##

Thanks for helping and this hint!

The density should read as ##f(t) = \lambda e^{-\lambda t}##; I have edited the post to correct this. So, subsequent expressions are OK: ##F(t) = 1 - e^{-\lambda t}##, etc. Think of it this way: if t has dimensions of time, λ must have dimensions 1/time = rate per unit time; that makes the product λt dimensionless, which it must be if we are going to exponentiate it. Similarly, probabilities are dimensionless numbers, so F(t) cannot have λ or 1/λ outside the exponential.

Your computation of ET is incorrect; getting λ is much, much easier than what you wrote. Look in a book, or look on line!

Ray Vickson said:
Your computation of ET is incorrect; getting λ is much, much easier than what you wrote. Look in a book, or look on line!

Ammm, this is written in my notebook, just as it is written on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expected_value#Univariate_continuous_random_variable

So expected value ##E(t)=\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }tf(t)dt## but ##t## can only be positive and ##f(t)=\lambda e^{-\lambda t}##.

I am a bit confused at this moment? How is this incorrect?

skrat said:
Ammm, this is written in my notebook, just as it is written on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expected_value#Univariate_continuous_random_variable

So expected value ##E(t)=\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }tf(t)dt## but ##t## can only be positive and ##f(t)=\lambda e^{-\lambda t}##.

I am a bit confused at this moment? How is this incorrect?

This part is correct, but you are not finished. You need to do the integral (or consult a book or a web page, as I have said now for the third---and last---time). In a previous post you gave some weird expression for the mean that was incorrect (for one thing, it involved 't, but that has already been integrated out). You had a quadratic equation to solve, which is totally false.

According to wolfram alpha and my own calculations with the help of a book the integral is http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=axe^(-ax)+integrate

##E(t)=\int_{0}^{\infty }t\lambda e^{-\lambda t}dt=-\frac{1}{\lambda }(e^{-\infty}(\lambda t+1))+\frac{1}{\lambda }(e^{0}(\lambda t+1))=\frac{1}{\lambda }(\lambda t+1)=4##
now ##4\lambda=\lambda t+1##

What is wrong here?

skrat said:
According to wolfram alpha and my own calculations with the help of a book the integral is http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=axe^(-ax)+integrate

##E(t)=\int_{0}^{\infty }t\lambda e^{-\lambda t}dt=-\frac{1}{\lambda }(e^{-\infty}(\lambda t+1))+\frac{1}{\lambda }(e^{0}(\lambda t+1))=\frac{1}{\lambda }(\lambda t+1)=4##
now ##4\lambda=\lambda t+1##

What is wrong here?

There should be no 't' in the final answer. As I said before, 't' has been integrated out---it is gone.

Related to Exponential distribution, two exercises

1. What is an exponential distribution?

An exponential distribution is a type of probability distribution that models the time between events that occur continuously and independently at a constant average rate. It is often used to model the time between occurrences of rare events.

2. How is the exponential distribution different from other distributions?

The exponential distribution is unique in that it is a continuous distribution with a single parameter, known as the rate parameter, which determines the average rate at which events occur. It also has a constant hazard rate, meaning the probability of an event occurring at any given time is independent of how much time has passed.

3. What are some examples of real-life applications of the exponential distribution?

The exponential distribution can be used to model the time between earthquakes, the lifespan of electronic components, the time between customer arrivals in a queue, and the time between radioactive decays, among others.

4. How is the exponential distribution related to the Poisson distribution?

The exponential distribution is closely related to the Poisson distribution, as it can be used to model the number of events occurring in a given time interval. The Poisson distribution describes the probability of a certain number of events occurring within a fixed time period, while the exponential distribution describes the time between individual events.

5. How can the exponential distribution be applied in data analysis and decision making?

The exponential distribution is commonly used in data analysis to determine the average time between events and to predict future events. It is also used in decision making to evaluate risk and make plans for rare events. For example, it can be used to determine the average time it takes to complete a task and plan accordingly for future projects.