Exponential Attenuation and Beta Particle Range

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the law of exponential attenuation and the mass attenuation coefficient to determine the range of beta particles in air. However, there are some difficulties in finding the exact value of x, as the initial intensity (I0) and the relevance of the mass defect are unknown. Additionally, setting I=0 is not a viable solution as it only occurs at infinity. The goal is to find a characteristic length scale, such as the distance over which the intensity drops by a factor of e.
Ishy
Exponential Attenuation and Beta Particle Range (solved)

Homework Statement

I am given a beta emitter and its atomic mass, as well as the atomic mass of its daughter, which have a difference of 0.0034 amu. I am to determine the range of the particles in air.

Homework Equations

I am given the law of exponential attenuation:
I=I0e^(-ux)
And substituted for mass attenuation coefficient:
I=I0e^(-um*px)
um and p(rho) are readily available, and can be considered given

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am looking for x, but I do not know I0 (is there some relation between mass or energy and intensity?), and if I'm looking for the range, I assume I to be 0 (if intensity is energy flux x velocity, at the end of the range it must approach 0) which opens up all sorts of nasty when we try to find ln0 (which, essentially approaches infinity).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. What is the relevance of the mass defect?

2. You can not set I=0, because that will only happen at x=infty, which is useless.

3. You want to find a characteristic length scale, typically the distance over which the intensity drops by a factor of e.

Related to Exponential Attenuation and Beta Particle Range

1. What is exponential attenuation?

Exponential attenuation is a phenomenon in which a beam of particles, such as beta particles, loses energy as it travels through a material. This is due to interactions between the particles and the atoms of the material, causing the particles to scatter and lose energy.

2. How does exponential attenuation affect beta particle range?

Exponential attenuation reduces the range of beta particles in a material as they lose energy. The more interactions they have with the material, the more energy they lose and the shorter their range becomes. This is why beta particles have a limited range in materials, unlike gamma rays which can travel much farther.

3. What factors affect the range of beta particles?

The range of beta particles is affected by the energy of the particles, the type of material they are traveling through, and the density of the material. Higher energy beta particles can travel farther before being attenuated, while denser materials will cause more interactions and reduce the range.

4. How is the range of beta particles calculated?

The range of beta particles can be calculated using a mathematical formula called the Bethe-Bloch formula. This formula takes into account the energy of the beta particles, the properties of the material, and the distance traveled to determine the range of the particles.

5. Can beta particle range be measured experimentally?

Yes, beta particle range can be measured experimentally using a variety of techniques such as a Geiger-Muller counter or a scintillation detector. These devices can detect the presence and energy of beta particles and can be used to measure their range in different materials.