Exponent of disconnected Feynman diagrams

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of exponentiation of disconnected diagrams in Peskin pages 96-97. The person is struggling to understand the proof and is wondering if there is a better explanation available. They also mention a sentence on page 97 that they are having trouble understanding. The concept is related to field theory in statistical physics and involves summing over all possible values for n_j. The result is given by the expression: exp[sum over j of c_j]. The conversation ends with the person stating that it all boils down to the 1/n! symmetry factor.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
hello, I am trying to follow the arguments in Peskin pages 96-97 where the exponentiation of disconnected diagrams are performed. I think the 'proof' is too 'not detailed' and was wondering if there exists a better explanation elsewhere?

My biggest question is the sentence on page 97 "The sum of the connected pieces factors out..." and what n_i is/means. I understand better if one starts with the most basic case, then do it for one more case, and then generalizes it - I think the generalization comes immediately here =/

best regards

Physics news on Phys.org
I studied this in the context of field theory in statistical physics quite some time ago. If the set of all conneceted diagrams is c_1, c_2, c_3,..., then any disconnected diagram can be written by specifying how many diagrams c_j it contains. If there are n_j diagrams c_j, then the amplitude is

Product over j of 1/n_j! c_j^n_j

Summing over all the disconnected diagrams, amounts to summing over all the possible values for n_j, which gives the result

exp[sum over j of c_j]

Thanx for your answer, but I still don't get it 100%, guess I need to make up an own example of this and then generalize it ;-)

I also had this in quantum field theory in statistical physics, but did not bother so much to understand this back then.. we also had a quite advanced book, it was not introductory (Tseliks book on QFT in condensed matter). But now I am studying more in Peskin, which is nicer, but not nice enough, for me.

Well, it all boils down to the 1/n! symmetry factor if you have n times the same connected diagram. So, you get a factor of c^n/n! if you have n copies of diagram c as part of your disconnected diagram... I don't think there is anything more to it than just this.

Related to Exponent of disconnected Feynman diagrams

1. What is an exponent of disconnected Feynman diagrams?

The exponent of disconnected Feynman diagrams is a mathematical concept used in theoretical physics, specifically in the field of quantum field theory. It is a numerical value that is calculated from the Feynman diagrams, which are graphical representations of particle interactions. It is used to determine the probability of certain particle interactions occurring.

2. How is the exponent of disconnected Feynman diagrams calculated?

The exponent is calculated by summing the contributions of all possible disconnected Feynman diagrams for a given particle interaction. Each diagram represents a different possible way that the particles could interact, and the contributions are added together to give the total probability of the interaction occurring.

3. What is the significance of the exponent of disconnected Feynman diagrams?

The exponent is an important factor in determining the probability of particle interactions. It is used to make predictions about the behavior of particles at the subatomic level, and is an essential component of many theoretical models in physics.

4. Can the exponent of disconnected Feynman diagrams be negative?

No, the exponent is always a positive value. This is because it represents the probability of a particle interaction occurring, and probabilities cannot be negative. However, the value of the exponent can be very small, which would correspond to a low probability of the interaction occurring.

5. How is the exponent of disconnected Feynman diagrams related to the strength of the interaction?

The exponent is directly proportional to the strength of the interaction. This means that a larger exponent corresponds to a stronger interaction between particles. In quantum field theory, the strength of an interaction is typically represented by a coupling constant, which is related to the exponent of the disconnected Feynman diagrams.