Explosion of one mass into three

In summary, a 4.2 kg object at rest explodes into 3 equal mass objects with two having velocities of 5.0 m/s at 90 degree angles. The total kinetic energy released in the explosion can be calculated by finding the velocity of the third object and using conservation of momentum to determine the individual kinetic energies of each piece. The final result is 103.5 J.
haroldham

Homework Statement

A 4.2 kg object, initially at rest, "explodes" into 3 objects of equal mass. Two of these are determined to have velocities of equal magnitudes (5.0 m/s) with directions that differ by 90 degrees. How much kinetic energy was released in the explosion? (that is what is the energy of the three object systems after the explosions)

Homework Equations

To be honest, my teacher did not cover this in class so I'm naked in the dark on this one.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since they are at 90 degrees to each other, one would be 5 j m/s and the other would be 5 i m/s. I am not sure where to go from there or where the third factors in.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the center of mass remains the same from conservation of momentum, then first figure the velocity of the third object. (Happily you can because you know the mass of all 3 pieces are equal.)

Then you know how much KE each piece has since you know their masses and velocities.

Ok, thank you so much. I undertand.

Did you get 103.5 J?

Perhaps you should show your calculation?

Related to Explosion of one mass into three

1. What is an explosion of one mass into three?

An explosion of one mass into three is a physical phenomenon where a single object or mass breaks apart and separates into three distinct pieces. This can occur due to a variety of reasons, such as a detonation, chemical reaction, or impact.

2. What causes an explosion of one mass into three?

An explosion of one mass into three can be caused by several factors, including high levels of energy, sudden release of pressure, or a rapid increase in temperature. It can also be triggered by external forces, such as a collision or impact.

3. Is an explosion of one mass into three dangerous?

It depends on the circumstances and the size of the explosion. In some cases, an explosion of one mass into three can be extremely dangerous, causing significant damage and injury. However, in other cases, it may only result in minor consequences.

4. What are the potential consequences of an explosion of one mass into three?

The consequences of an explosion of one mass into three can vary depending on the size and intensity of the explosion, as well as the surrounding environment. It can result in injuries, destruction of property, and even loss of life.

5. Can an explosion of one mass into three be controlled or prevented?

In some cases, an explosion of one mass into three can be prevented by implementing safety measures and protocols, such as proper handling and storage of hazardous materials. However, certain types of explosions are difficult to control and may occur unexpectedly.