Explosion of a Mass Homework Help

In summary, an object with total mass of 16.6 kg explodes into three pieces, with masses of 5 kg and 5.4 kg. The first piece moves up and to the left at an angle of 25°, with a speed of 27 m/s. The second piece moves down and to the right at an angle of 30°, with a speed of 21.8 m/s. The x-component of the velocity of the third piece is 13.57 m/s and the y-component is 7.47 m/s. The magnitude of the velocity of the center of mass of the pieces after the collision is still unknown.
sg1272
1. Homework Statement
An object with total mass mtotal = 16.6 kg is sitting at rest when it explodes into three pieces. One piece with mass m1 = 5 kg moves up and to the left at an angle of θ1 = 25° above the –x axis with a speed of v1 = 27 m/s. A second piece with mass m2 = 5.4 kg moves down and to the right an angle of θ2 = 30° to the right of the -y axis at a speed of v2 = 21.8 m/s. What is the x-component of the velocity of the third piece? What is the y-component of the velocity of the third piece? What is the magnitude of the velocity of the center of mass of the pieces after the collision?

2. Homework Equations
I know that for both components, the velocities of all three masses equal 0 when added together (v1_x+v2_x+v3_x=0 and same for y component). I know how to solve for the center of mass using the velocities but I need to figure out the velocity components of the third mass first.

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I've tried this many ways but the one that seems correct to me would be...
v1_x = -27 m/s * cos (25) =-24.47 m/s
v2_x = 21.8 m/s * sin (30) = 10.9 m/s
v3_x = -v1_x - v2_x = 24.47 m/s - 10.9 m/s = 13.57 m/s
v1_y = 27 m/s * sin (25) = 11.41 m/s
v2_y = -21.8 m/s * cos (30) = -18.88 m/s
v3_y = -v1_y - v2_y = -11.41 m/s + 18.88 m/s = 7.47 m/s
However, none of these answers are correct according to the program I am using.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.
sg1272 said:
1. Homework Statement
An object with total mass mtotal = 16.6 kg is sitting at rest when it explodes into three pieces. One piece with mass m1 = 5 kg moves up and to the left at an angle of θ1 = 25° above the –x axis with a speed of v1 = 27 m/s. A second piece with mass m2 = 5.4 kg moves down and to the right an angle of θ2 = 30° to the right of the -y axis at a speed of v2 = 21.8 m/s. What is the x-component of the velocity of the third piece? What is the y-component of the velocity of the third piece? What is the magnitude of the velocity of the center of mass of the pieces after the collision?2. Homework Equations
I know that for both components, the velocities of all three masses equal 0 when added together (v1_x+v2_x+v3_x=0 and same for y component).
No. The momentum of all three masses, when added together, equals zero.

I know how to solve for the center of mass using the velocities but I need to figure out the velocity components of the third mass first. 3. The Attempt at a Solution
I've tried this many ways but the one that seems correct to me would be...
v1_x = -27 m/s * cos (25) =-24.47 m/s
v2_x = 21.8 m/s * sin (30) = 10.9 m/s
v3_x = -v1_x - v2_x = 24.47 m/s - 10.9 m/s = 13.57 m/s
v1_y = 27 m/s * sin (25) = 11.41 m/s
v2_y = -21.8 m/s * cos (30) = -18.88 m/s
v3_y = -v1_y - v2_y = -11.41 m/s + 18.88 m/s = 7.47 m/s
However, none of these answers are correct according to the program I am using.

Related to Explosion of a Mass Homework Help

1. What is an explosion of a mass?

An explosion of a mass is a sudden and violent release of energy, resulting in a rapid expansion of gases and debris. It can occur in various forms, such as chemical explosions, nuclear explosions, or even natural phenomena like volcanic eruptions.

2. What is the cause of an explosion of a mass?

The cause of an explosion of a mass is typically the build-up of pressure within a confined space. This can be due to a chemical reaction, a sudden release of energy, or a disruption in the equilibrium of a system.

3. What are the potential dangers of an explosion of a mass?

The potential dangers of an explosion of a mass can vary depending on the magnitude and location of the explosion. Some common dangers include structural damage, fires, release of toxic substances, and human injuries or fatalities.

4. How do scientists study explosions of mass?

Scientists use various methods to study explosions of mass, including computer simulations, physical experiments, and analysis of real-world events. These studies help scientists understand the mechanisms and effects of explosions, as well as develop safety measures and mitigation strategies.

5. Can an explosion of a mass be prevented?

While it may not be possible to prevent all explosions of mass, scientists and engineers work to minimize the risk of such events through careful design and monitoring of processes and systems. This includes implementing safety protocols, using proper materials and equipment, and conducting thorough risk assessments.