Exploring Young's vs Bulk Modulus of Tin

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between Young's modulus and bulk modulus in determining the density of a material, specifically tin. The Young's modulus for tin is 4.5x10^10 and the speed of sound in tin is measured to be 2.73km/s. By substituting Young's modulus for the bulk modulus in the equation v=sqrt(B/density), the answer does not match the given choices. However, in the case of sound waves in a thin solid rod, the velocity is proportional to Young's modulus instead of bulk modulus, as stated in Serway's book.
tanzerino
1. The Young's modulus for tin is 4.5x10^10. If the speed of sound in tin is measured to be 2.73km/s , find its density in (kg/m^3) .

a)6.05x10^3
b)23.8x10^3
c)6.35x10^3
d)24.5x10^3
e)6.65x10^3

, E(tin)=4.5x10^10 ,speed of sound in tin=2.73km/s

2. v=sqrt(B/density) -where B is bulk modulus

3. if i substitute B as young's modulus I get answer a) in the choices.

What is difference between bulk modulus and young's modulus and if there is what relation relates them.Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bulk modulus = 3*young's modulus.

But when i substitute v=sqrt(3Y/density)=sqrt(B/density) i don't get an answer from choices while i do if i substitute v=y/density.is it possible that in sound waves the velocity is proportional to youngs modulus instead of bulk modulus as in other cases.From serway :"For longitudinal sound waves in a solid rod of material, for example, the speed of
sound depends on Young’s modulus Y and the density !. Table 17.1 provides the speed
of sound in several different materials"

please advise.:)

any idea anybody?:confused:

While calculating the velocity of sound in solid, if the solid is a thin rod, the bulk modulus is replaced by Young's modulus.

thanks very much.

Related to Exploring Young's vs Bulk Modulus of Tin

1. What is Young's modulus and bulk modulus?

Young's modulus and bulk modulus are both measures of a material's elasticity or ability to deform under applied stress. Young's modulus specifically measures the ratio of stress to strain in a material, while bulk modulus measures the ratio of stress to volumetric strain.

2. How do Young's modulus and bulk modulus differ?

The main difference between Young's modulus and bulk modulus is the type of strain being measured. Young's modulus measures the ratio of stress to linear strain, while bulk modulus measures the ratio of stress to volumetric strain. Additionally, Young's modulus is applicable to solids, while bulk modulus is applicable to both solids and fluids.

3. What is the relationship between Young's modulus and bulk modulus?

Young's modulus and bulk modulus are related through the Poisson's ratio, which is a measure of the lateral strain that occurs when a material is under longitudinal stress. The Poisson's ratio is equal to the ratio of the two moduli multiplied by -1.

4. How is Young's modulus and bulk modulus of tin determined?

To determine Young's modulus and bulk modulus of tin, a sample of tin is subjected to different levels of stress and strain using a testing machine. The resulting data is then used to calculate the moduli using the appropriate equations.

5. Why is it important to study the Young's modulus and bulk modulus of tin?

Studying the Young's modulus and bulk modulus of tin can provide valuable information about the material's strength, stiffness, and ability to withstand stress. This information can be useful in various industries, such as construction and engineering, where tin is often used as a component in structures and machinery.