Exploring Wave-Particle Duality

In summary: It is just a temporary effect that can be observed through repeated measurements. In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of particle-wave duality and the behavior of particles when observed or measured. It touches on the uncertainty principle and how it relates to the behavior of particles. The conversation also includes a recommendation for further reading on the topic.
paul_peciak
I've been racking my brain to no end trying to feed my crack physics fix. I've even managed to abandon sleep and school work to indulge in this addiction. :-p
Anyways Am I looking at this right? I just want some sort of guidance so I'm going in the right direction with this...
When a particle-wave is interfered with and behaviorally becomes a particle (collapsed wave function) - it seizes to interfere with itself thus not exhibiting wave properties. So the act of measuring causes a photon/ electron to still retains all of its properties it just looses its ability to interfere with it self,which means it passes through only one hole... and here I'm sort of iffy on a couple of things...
I understand the uncertainty principle, but I do no see how that explains the particle-waves behavioral change in going threw one slit or the other.
... is it just probabilistic at that point slit 1 or slit 2? I also assume that a collapsed wave function is irreversible?
...from my understanding the photon/electron still makes its way to the screen except no diffraction and interference patterns... so how/why does it travel exactly? from the momentum carried from its particle-wave "trip"? or is this something unmeasurable due to HUP? Also is there room for HUP and for the conscious observer to co-exist in explaining particle-wave duality?
(something interesting to read on the topic)
http://www.ati.ac.at/~summweb/ifm/pc_experiments/Qu_Ant&Butterf.pdf
Thanks for the help...if possible could I get comments or answers not so heavy on the math, or more preferably along side it so I can "follow along":blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
paul_peciak said:
I've been racking my brain to no end trying to feed my crack physics fix. I've even managed to abandon sleep and school work to indulge in this addiction. :-p
Anyways Am I looking at this right? I just want some sort of guidance so I'm going in the right direction with this...
When a particle-wave is interfered with and behaviorally becomes a particle (collapsed wave function) - it seizes to interfere with itself thus not exhibiting wave properties. So the act of measuring causes a photon/ electron to still retains all of its properties it just looses its ability to interfere with it self,which means it passes through only one hole... and here I'm sort of iffy on a couple of things...
I understand the uncertainty principle, but I do no see how that explains the particle-waves behavioral change in going threw one slit or the other.
... is it just probabilistic at that point slit 1 or slit 2? I also assume that a collapsed wave function is irreversible?
...from my understanding the photon/electron still makes its way to the screen except no diffraction and interference patterns... so how/why does it travel exactly? from the momentum carried from its particle-wave "trip"? or is this something unmeasurable due to HUP? Also is there room for HUP and for the conscious observer to co-exist in explaining particle-wave duality?
(something interesting to read on the topic)
http://www.ati.ac.at/~summweb/ifm/pc_experiments/Qu_Ant&Butterf.pdf
Thanks for the help...if possible could I get comments or answers not so heavy on the math, or more preferably along side it so I can "follow along":blushing:

The superposition is the key to understanding why the particle appears to travel through both slits and then interfere with itself. Once you grasp what a superposition is in terms of being a series of possibilities for the photons wave like motion, then you can grasp what happens in decoherence, here is a good place to start though.

http://www.upscale.utoronto.ca/GeneralInterest/Harrison/DoubleSlit/DoubleSlit.html"

I love this website, it's very simple and clear and involves no maths whatsoever, so even the maths knowlessman can pick it up, although to really understand the intricacies of it you will need maths.

To put it simply before the wave decoheres it's superposition travels through both slits, it's "waves" then interfering with itself (like a water wave would) And producing an interference pattern. If you decohere the superposition then it's superposition dissapears, and it no longer behaves like a wave, striking the back of the screen as if it were a particle.

With a detector at both slits, so that the photon is always decohered, the statistical probability of the photon going through one slit or another is 50/50.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I will read that.

paul_peciak said:
When a particle-wave is interfered with and behaviorally becomes a particle (collapsed wave function) - it seizes to interfere with itself thus not exhibiting wave properties. So the act of measuring causes a photon/ electron to still retains all of its properties it just looses its ability to interfere with it self,which means it passes through only one hole...

I just wanted to briefly comment on this. It's true that when an object is observed, its wave function collapses to a single point. You can imagine this as a continuous graph on an xy plane collapsing to a spike of infinite height at some point on the x-axis (in mathematical terms, this is called a Dirac Delta Function). However, it's important to note that this is not a permanent situation. After being measured, an object's wave function will slowly spread out again until it is measured again. So it is not as though the act of measurement robs any particle of its wavelike properties.

Related to Exploring Wave-Particle Duality

1. What is wave-particle duality?

Wave-particle duality is a fundamental concept in quantum physics that states that particles can exhibit properties of both waves and particles. This means that a particle can behave like a wave and have a wavelength and frequency, while also having a position and momentum like a traditional particle.

2. How was wave-particle duality discovered?

Wave-particle duality was first observed in the early 20th century through experiments such as the double-slit experiment and the photoelectric effect. These experiments showed that particles, such as electrons, could behave like waves and exhibit interference patterns, providing evidence for the duality of their nature.

3. What are some real-world applications of wave-particle duality?

One of the most well-known applications of wave-particle duality is in the development of modern technology, such as transistors and lasers. Understanding the dual nature of particles has also led to advancements in medical imaging, particle accelerators, and quantum computing.

4. How does wave-particle duality relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle, also known as Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. This is because the act of measuring one property of a particle can alter the other. This is directly related to wave-particle duality because the wave-like behavior of particles makes it impossible to know their exact position and momentum at the same time.

5. Is wave-particle duality still a topic of research?

Yes, wave-particle duality is still an active area of research in physics. Scientists continue to study the dual nature of particles and its implications for our understanding of the universe. New experiments and technologies are being developed to further our understanding of this phenomenon and its applications.