Exploring Water Vapor: The Most Lethal Greenhouse Gas

• Thread starter jsmith613
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Greenhouse
In summary, water vapor is a greenhouse gas that is important for Earth's temperature, hydrologic cycle, and atmospheric opacity.
jsmith613
How is water vapour a greenhouse gas? how is it the most imporant and lethal one?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Hi there,

Water vapor is a greenhouse gas!

What do you mean by most important and lethal?

Cheers

And what do you mean by "how"? Do you know what it means to be a greenhouse gas? Is this homework?

russ_watters said:
And what do you mean by "how"? Do you know what it means to be a greenhouse gas? Is this homework?

THis is not Hwk, it is school notes. What I mean is why is it a greenhouse gas what causes it to be one

thanks

jsmith613 said:
THis is not Hwk, it is school notes. What I mean is why is it a greenhouse gas what causes it to be one

thanks

Basically, a water molecule has many vibration modes that allow it to absorb infrared radiation; which is what it means to be a "greenhouse gas". It's linked to the structure of the molecule as a dipole.

I think this thread probably belongs in Earth science.

Cheers -- sylas

jsmith,

I'm not sure the at what level of detail you need to get into for your work/notes or personal curiosity. The reasons why H20 (or CO2, CH4, etc) are greenhouse gases involves quantum physics and technicalities which you might not be interested in. If you're doing this just for a high school or lower level undergraduate question then it may suffice to say that water vapor is a greenhouse gas because it strongly absorbs infrared radiation emitted by the Earth. Note that at Earthlike conditions the diatomic molecules (O2, N2, etc) cannot act as greenhouse gases but the triatomic molecules do. To behave as a greenhouse gas, either the molecule must possesses a dipole moment or some of its vibrational transitions must produce a temporary dipole moment (this explanation breaks down in other planetary cases, for instance when you have a very dense atmosphere, but is adequate for Earth where oxygen, nitrogen, and argon do not absorb infrared light).

For an explanation which is somewhat detailed but doesn't require a strong mathematical or physics background, I suggest Chapter 3 of David Archer's book describing some of the chemistry of greenhouse gases. This chapter is accessible online at http://geodoc.uchicago.edu/archer.ch4.greenhouse_gases.pdf

Your last question is very ill-posed. I'm not sure what you mean by "lethal." We obviously need water on Earth and the gaseous phase of water which contributes to the greenhouse effect is very important in keeping the temperatures of the Earth above freezing and also in contributing the the hydrologic cycle. I am personally not even in agreement that it is "the most important" greenhouse gas (I think it's sloppy terminology and requires several caveats to make it meaningful to the person learning the subject), although my reasons for saying this are probably more of an academic matter than anything really physically meaningful to the discussion. "Most important" or not, water vapor does however contribute the most to the infrared opacity of the atmosphere when compared to clouds or other greenhouse gases. Because it is a bent triatomic molecule, it has a permanent dipole moment, and thus pure rotation bands in addition to vibration-rotation bands which makes it efficient at absorbing infrared.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Exploring Water Vapor: The Most Lethal Greenhouse Gas

1. What is water vapor and why is it considered a greenhouse gas?

Water vapor, also known as H2O, is the gaseous form of water. It is considered a greenhouse gas because it traps heat in the Earth's atmosphere, contributing to the greenhouse effect. This means that it absorbs and emits infrared radiation, which warms the Earth's surface and helps regulate its temperature.

2. How does water vapor compare to other greenhouse gases?

Water vapor is the most abundant greenhouse gas in the Earth's atmosphere, with concentrations ranging from 1-4%. However, its concentration varies greatly depending on location and weather conditions. Other greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide and methane, have lower concentrations but can persist in the atmosphere for longer periods of time.

3. What are the potential effects of water vapor on the Earth's climate?

As a greenhouse gas, water vapor contributes to the warming of the Earth's surface. As the Earth's temperature rises, it can lead to more evaporation, increasing the concentration of water vapor in the atmosphere. This can create a positive feedback loop, further amplifying the greenhouse effect and potentially leading to more extreme weather events, such as heatwaves and hurricanes.

4. Is all water vapor in the atmosphere harmful?

No, not all water vapor in the atmosphere is harmful. In fact, water vapor is essential for life on Earth and plays a crucial role in regulating the Earth's temperature. However, as with any greenhouse gas, excessive amounts can contribute to the warming of the Earth's surface and have negative impacts on the environment and human health.

5. How can we reduce the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere?

Unlike other greenhouse gases, we cannot directly control the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere. However, by reducing our emissions of other greenhouse gases, we can help prevent further warming and potential increases in water vapor concentrations. Additionally, taking steps to conserve water and reduce our overall water usage can also indirectly impact the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere.