Exploring Time Scale Changes: Origins & Possibilities

• A
  • Thread starter TheCanadian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the speaker is curious about whether there is a similar phenomenon of intrinsic scale changing in the temporal domain as there is in the spatial domain. They are wondering if it is possible or testable, and if there are any discussions or proposed mechanisms for this. It is noted that the lack of an ##a(x)## term in the ## -c^2dt^2## term of the FLRW metric is just a coordinate convention, and writing an arbitrary function of x may not match observations.
TheCanadian
I feel like this concept itself is a bit out there, but thought I'd try to find more information on it (and why perhaps none of it makes sense).

I've been studying the metric expansion of space in my courses and been really interested by it (as most here are). As far as I can tell, we do not quite understand the origins for this expansion; we have simply observed evidence for it. Now it's likely been discussed and dismissed in the past, but I couldn't find any pertinent answers for my ensuing question—or maybe I just didn't understand my lessons on relativity well enough. In any case, I was just wondering if an analogous phenomenon (intrinsic scale changing) occurs in the temporal domain? Assuming isotropy as in the case of spatial expansion, is having the scale of time changing in flat space possible or even testable?

I realize we make time the dependent variable for a lot of models simply because it's most helpful for us in terms of testing and personally understanding the models. And I realize symmetry isn't necessarily necessary, but assuming such a change in time is possible, I can't help but wonder (e.g. perhaps the FLRW metric has a corresponding ##a(x)## term for the ## -c^2dt^2## term).

To my knowledge, the answer to all of the above is no as we don't have any proposed mechanism for this to even take place, and are not able to experiment at the same point in space at two separate times (yet, hopefully). It also seems to violate special relativity. I realize I haven't formulated much except a very broad question, but is there much discussion on the above that you could refer me to? I've been reading up on the differences and similarities between the spatial and temporal dimensions. Although why we have expansion (or contraction) in one and nothing in the other is still puzzling to me.

Space news on Phys.org
Having nothing in front of the dt^2 in the metric is a coordinate convention. You could perfectly well write down coordinates where this is not the case, but they would likely be less useful.

However, writing an arbitrary function of x is generally not going to match observations.

Related to Exploring Time Scale Changes: Origins & Possibilities

What is the concept of time scale changes and why is it important in scientific research?

The concept of time scale changes refers to the study of how different processes and events occur and interact over different lengths of time. It is important in scientific research because it allows for a better understanding of the natural world and how it has evolved over time.

What are some examples of time scale changes in nature?

Some examples of time scale changes in nature include geological processes such as the formation of mountains and the movement of tectonic plates, biological processes such as evolution and natural selection, and astronomical events such as the formation of stars and galaxies.

How do scientists study time scale changes?

Scientists study time scale changes through various methods such as radiometric dating, geological and biological records, and astronomical observations. These methods help to establish the sequence of events and their corresponding time frames.

What are the potential origins of time scale changes?

The potential origins of time scale changes can vary depending on the specific process being studied. For example, geological time scale changes can be caused by plate tectonics, climate change, or volcanic activity. Biological time scale changes can be influenced by factors such as natural selection, genetic mutations, and changes in the environment. Astronomical time scale changes can be caused by gravitational forces, cosmic events, or the expansion of the universe.

What are the possibilities of future time scale changes?

The possibilities of future time scale changes are vast and unpredictable, as they are influenced by a multitude of factors. However, some potential possibilities include further evolution and adaptation of species, changes in climate and geological processes, and potential astronomical events such as supernovas or collisions with other celestial bodies.