Exploring the Use of Solenoids in Railgun Technology: Pros and Cons Revealed

In summary, a railgun using solenoids as the rails and projectile has potential benefits overtraditional railguns in that the stronger magnetic field of the solenoids allows for a stronger force to be applied to the projectile. Additionally, the simplicity of the design allows for easy modification and experimentation.
Waterfox
I haven't seen any discussion or any mention what so ever of this before so excuse me if it's that's because it's a crazy idea.

What would be the pros and cons of using solenoids as the rails and projectile of a railgun?
Would the stronger magnetic field of the solenoids allow a stronger force to be applied to projectile or is it a simple case of you get the same amount put out than you do put in regardless of being a rail or coil.
I just tried building simple one connected to a battery and it worked, both with a solenoid projectile and ball bearing. (I took vids if you'd like me to post them)
Discussion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Was your projectile inside the solenoid.

No, the rails were replaced with solenoids.
Here are the videos to help you understand:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRZd9-OlZ68

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GYGwN9zHD0

Here is a copy of the description for the first video:
Trying out the idea of using solenoids instead of rails. The side rails and the projectile are both solenoids. I used enameled wire wrapped around some bolts then sanded the outsides to ensure a connection. The battery is a 2S LiPo, I made sure to constantly check it's temperature and it barely got warm.

Some info:
The projectile was attracted to the "rails", this helped to keep the connection.
Adding to this, rails (solenoids) and the projectile (also a solenoid) were all attracted to each other rather than being repelled (I believe this is how a traditional railgun behaves).

Last edited:
Im trying to figure out how this works Because the B field outside the solenoid is zero.
There is a pretty small fringing field. Is this DC current, it looks like it from the video.

It's connected to a 7.4v Lithium Polymer battery so it's DC.
Here's how I imagined the magnetic poles, green is the rails, blue is the projectile.
[PLAIN]http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/5193/railgunq.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Exploring the Use of Solenoids in Railgun Technology: Pros and Cons Revealed

1. What is a solenoid and how does it work in a railgun?

A solenoid is an electromechanical device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. In a railgun, a solenoid is used to accelerate a projectile by creating a magnetic field that pushes the projectile forward.

2. What are the advantages of using solenoids in railgun technology?

The use of solenoids in railguns offers several advantages, such as high power-to-weight ratio, low maintenance, and precise control over the acceleration of the projectile. Additionally, solenoids are more efficient than other electromagnetic devices, making them a popular choice for railgun technology.

3. Are there any disadvantages to using solenoids in railgun technology?

One of the main disadvantages of using solenoids in railguns is the formation of heat due to the high amount of current passing through the coils. This can lead to overheating and potential damage to the coils. Additionally, solenoids can be expensive to manufacture and may require complex cooling systems to prevent overheating.

4. How does the use of solenoids affect the overall performance of a railgun?

The use of solenoids can significantly improve the performance of a railgun, as they provide a more efficient and precise means of accelerating the projectile. However, the performance can also be impacted by factors such as the strength and size of the solenoid, as well as the material and shape of the projectile.

5. Are there any alternative technologies to solenoids for railgun acceleration?

Yes, there are several alternative technologies that can be used for railgun acceleration, such as rail-based systems, electromagnetic launchers, and coilguns. Each of these technologies has its own pros and cons, and the choice will depend on the specific needs and requirements of the railgun project.