Exploring the Solar Spectrum at Night: A Closer Look at Infrared Radiation

He also asked about how the solar spectrum changes when the sun is not visible. In summary, there is likely some infrared radiation present at night, but it would be a much smaller amount compared to during the day when the sun is visible. The spectrum would also be affected by other factors such as ground radiation, man-made sources, and the moon if visible.
ANarwhal
Wikipedia showed me the solar spectrum during the day: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Solar_Spectrum.png

I imagine its very different at night, however is everything 0? Is there any residual black body infrared radiation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would the solar spectrum change because you can't see the sun?

I'll rephrase my question for you:

If I am standing on the ground when the sun is highest in the sky (that's an idiom btw), I would expect to get a spectrum similar to the yellow plot on that graph. If I stand in the same place when the night is at its darkest, what would the spectrum look like in this range?

How bright is the moon?

You are suggesting there is no infrared radiation at night below the 2500 nm band?

the point is ... how do you expect to measure the spectrum of the sun when the sun isn't visible

Yes there is going to be some IR radiation around, ground radiation, manmade stuff, from the moon if visible and maybe a very small amount from the sky

Dave

Related to Exploring the Solar Spectrum at Night: A Closer Look at Infrared Radiation

1. What is infrared radiation and how does it relate to the solar spectrum at night?

Infrared radiation is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is invisible to the human eye. It is a form of heat that is emitted from all objects, including the sun, at night. In the solar spectrum, infrared radiation falls between the visible light and microwave regions.

2. Why is it important to explore the solar spectrum at night?

Exploring the solar spectrum at night allows us to understand the different types of radiation emitted from the sun and how they affect our planet. Infrared radiation, in particular, plays a crucial role in the Earth's climate and is also used in various scientific and technological applications.

3. How do scientists study the solar spectrum at night?

Scientists use specialized instruments such as spectrophotometers and telescopes to study the solar spectrum at night. These tools can detect and measure different wavelengths of radiation, including infrared, to create a detailed picture of the solar spectrum.

4. What can we learn from studying infrared radiation in the solar spectrum at night?

Studying infrared radiation in the solar spectrum can provide us with valuable information about the Earth's atmosphere and climate. It can also help us understand the composition of other planets and objects in our solar system, as well as improve our understanding of the universe as a whole.

5. Are there any risks associated with exploring the solar spectrum at night?

Exploring the solar spectrum at night does not pose any direct risks to scientists. However, it is important to use proper protective equipment when working with instruments that detect infrared radiation, as it can be harmful to the eyes and skin in high intensities.