Exploring the Similar Masses of Protons and Neutrons

In summary, there are four components to the n-p mass difference. The first is a mass difference in the d and u quarks. The second is the Coulombic energies <q_1q_2/r> of quark pairs. The third is the magnetic interaction ~<{\vec\hat\mu}_1\cdot {\vec\hat\mu}_2\delta({\vec r})/m_1m_2> of quark pairs. The fourth is a QCD analogue of the magnetic interaction.
jimmy.neutron
Hey guys this is my first post on Physics Forums, be gentle.

I've been wondering, what's the current explanation of why protons and neutrons have such very similar masses? Is this due to a difference in the up and down quark masses or is there something else going on here?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Proton consists of three quarks - two "up" and one "down". Neutron consists of one "up" and two "down" quarks. Much of the mass of either particle comes from the energy contained within gluons that bind them together. Gluons interact with "up" quarks and "down" quarks in exactly the same way. There are only two differences. Firstly, the "down" quark is slightly heavier than the "up" quark. We don't know exactly by how much, but it's around 2 MeV. Secondly, they have slightly different electromagnetic binding energies. I

In addition to the d-u mass difference, and EM perturbations, there is a QCD difference due to different energies for different q-q spin states.
All three effects are of the same order of magnitude ~ a few MeV.

Thanks guys, could you recommend a text/web site where I could learn more about the points you've raised please?

I can't recommend any simple discussion of this, but can warn you that most textbooks oversimplify this calculation.

dem, could you tell me a little more about the 'QCD difference' please? Is it analogous to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hund%27s_rule" ?

I've just read an older thread which suggests that the difference in up and down quark masses is accounted for be some form of symmetry breaking in QCD.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=93323"

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the posts in that thread are confused. I didn't look at the links they posted.
The QCD difference is not analogous to Hund's rules.
The QCD difference is like the magnetic mass shift in a baryon.
There are four components to the n-p mass difference.
1. A mass difference in the d and u quarks.
2. The Coulombic energies <q_1q_2/r> of quark pairs.
3. The magnetic interaction ~[tex]<{\vec\hat\mu}_1\cdot
{\vec\hat\mu}_2\delta({\vec r})/m_1m_2>[/tex] of quark pairs. This is like the hyperfine interaction in atoms.
4. There is a QCD analogue of the magnetic interaction. They each come from the relativistic interaction of quarks.
The QCD hyperfine interaction is ~[tex]\alpha_s<{\vec\hat\sigma}_1\cdot{\vec\hat\sigma}_2\delta({\vec r})/m_1m_2>[/tex],
where [tex]\alpha_s[/tex] is the strong coupling constant. This interaction was first suggested by Sakharov.
If this is too complicated, I'm sorry, but it's the simplest I can make it.

clem said:
3. The magnetic interaction ~[tex]<{\vec\hat\mu}_1\cdot
{\vec\hat\mu}_2\delta({\vec r})/m_1m_2>[/tex] of quark pairs. This is like the hyperfine interaction in atoms.
4. There is a QCD analogue of the magnetic interaction. They each come from the relativistic interaction of quarks.
The QCD hyperfine interaction is ~[tex]\alpha_s<{\vec\hat\sigma}_1\cdot{\vec\hat\sigma}_2\delta({\vec r})/m_1m_2>[/tex],
where [tex]\alpha_s[/tex] is the strong coupling constant. This interaction was first suggested by Sakharov.
What are [itex]\vec\hat\mu[/itex] and [itex]\vec\hat\sigma[/itex] in your equations ? It's not that the topic is too complicated, but your post is not clear. The article lined in the other thread was written by Gerald A Miller, who is a very clear person in his explanations.

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/print/17566

[tex]\mu[/tex] is magnetic moment and [tex]\sigma[/tex] is spin.

hamster143 said:
[tex]\mu[/tex] is magnetic moment and [tex]\sigma[/tex] is spin.
So you remove the vector and operator parts, and we are supposed to see a link with fundamental quarks ? All models are "QCD inspired" but I think consider this very remote because of the level of details provided. Are [itex]\sigma[/itex]s just the Pauli matrix ?

I am sorry if I offended anyone by using the standard notations for magnetic moment and the Pauli spin matrix vector. I thought that these were well known to participants in the HE, NP, PP forum. I overestimated some. If you think that Gerry Miller's long published article is clearer than my brief list hoping to help Jimmy Neutron in a forum format, then stick with that. Prof. Miller's clarity was helped by his omission of the magnetic and QCD spin-spin interactions (#3 and #4). This is what I meant by "some texts oversimplify this calculation".

Related to Exploring the Similar Masses of Protons and Neutrons

1. What are protons and neutrons?

Protons and neutrons are subatomic particles found in the nucleus of an atom. They are both made up of smaller particles called quarks, and they have a similar mass. Protons have a positive charge, while neutrons have no charge.

2. Why is it important to explore the similar masses of protons and neutrons?

Understanding the masses of protons and neutrons is crucial for understanding the structure and behavior of atoms. It also helps us to understand the fundamental forces that hold the nucleus together and how these particles interact with each other.

3. How are the masses of protons and neutrons measured?

The masses of protons and neutrons are measured using a unit called atomic mass units (amu). The mass of a proton is approximately 1 amu, while the mass of a neutron is slightly larger at 1.008 amu.

4. Are the masses of protons and neutrons exactly the same?

No, the masses of protons and neutrons are not exactly the same. While they have similar masses, the neutron is slightly heavier than the proton due to the presence of an additional particle called a neutron.

5. How does the mass of protons and neutrons affect the overall mass of an atom?

The mass of protons and neutrons makes up the majority of an atom's mass. However, the mass of an atom is also affected by the number of electrons it has, which are much lighter than protons and neutrons. The overall mass of an atom is important for understanding its physical properties and chemical reactions.