Exploring the Relationship Between Pi and Equations

• Thread starter Lokhtar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pi
In summary: This is not the only possible way to define pi, but it is a well-known and useful one. In fact, pi shows up all over the place in math and physics, and not always in obvious or direct ways. For example, in quantum mechanics, there is the "Gaussian integral" that shows up when you compute the probability of finding a particle in a particular region of space. This integral involves pi, but it is not about circles.In summary, Pi is not only related to circles, but also has many other applications in mathematics and physics. It often appears in equations as a result of integrating something over all of space, which is usually spherically symmetrical. This can be seen in examples such as the integral of the
Lokhtar
I have a amateur question regarding pi. I know what pi is, in a general sense, but I am looking at equations (e.g, the cosmological constant, Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, etc) where pi appears, but I do not see any relation to circles in those equations. I am sure there is, but I just don't see it. Can anyone explain where that comes in and why pi appears there?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pi is not only related to circles.
The relation between C and D for a circle is only one application of pi.
Because it is simplest to visualize, it is the circle that is taught in elementary school.

Hi Lokhtar! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(btw, if you type alt-p, it prints π)

I think it's mostly because these πs tend to be the result of "integrating" something over all of space, and the something is usually spherically symmetrical, so you integrate over a sphere and make the sphere very large, and the π comes from that.

For example, the integral of the normal (Gaussian) distribution over all of space, [tex]\int e^{-r^2}[/tex], is (I think) π√π. :smile:

That's a great question! In fact, Eugene Wigner, in his great essay "The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Mathematics" opens with nearly the exact same point:

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~matc/MathDrama/reading/Wigner.html

You may be interested to read the full essay.

pam said:
Because it is simplest to visualize, it is the circle that is taught in elementary school.

actually pam, i sort of disagree. i think that eventually, in any mathematical equation with [itex]\pi[/itex] in it, you'll find that it eventually will get back to the circle. whether it's Euler's formula (which leads to the expoential representation of sinusoids which plays a role in Heisenberg uncertainty) or the integral of the Gaussian bell curve, it gets back to a circle.

pam said:

Huh? One application of pi? We didn't invent PI and then check where it might happen to fit, no? It was the other way around, we tried squaring the circle and found that the ratio between the circumference and the diameter of the circle was always the same. Thus, rather than using r^2*4 when calculating the area of a circle (which gives the area of a square which encompass the circle), we use r^2*3.14 (which approximates the actual area of the circle).

Without having ANY clue as to the math of the uncertainty principle or the cosmological constant, I can go out on a super-thin branch here and venture a guess. If the universe started with a big bang, it should be spherical in form, no? I can see pi there. Same reasoning with the uncertainty principle: If you have a "cloud" of possible positions for something, based around a single point, which is equally probable in all directions, this "cloud" would form a sphere as well.

I may be way way way off the mark here, so keep in mind that I am neither a mathematician or a physicist :p

k

Just to weigh in at this point, in agreement with both rbj and kenewbie, we define pi to be the ratio of a circle's circuference to it's diameter.

Related to Exploring the Relationship Between Pi and Equations

1. What is the value of pi?

The value of pi (π) is approximately 3.141592653589793. It is an irrational number, meaning it cannot be expressed as a simple fraction, and it has an infinite number of decimal places.

2. How is pi related to equations?

Pi is often used in equations that involve circles, such as the formula for the circumference of a circle (C = 2πr) or the area of a circle (A = πr^2). It is also used in many other mathematical and scientific equations, as it is a fundamental constant in mathematics.

3. Can pi be calculated exactly?

No, pi cannot be calculated exactly because it is an irrational number. This means that it has an infinite number of decimal places and cannot be expressed as a finite number or ratio.

4. How is pi calculated?

Pi can be calculated using various methods, including the geometric method of inscribing polygons in a circle and the infinite series method. However, since pi is an irrational number, it cannot be calculated exactly and is usually approximated to a certain number of decimal places.

5. What is the significance of pi in mathematics?

Pi is a fundamental constant in mathematics and has many important applications, particularly in geometry and trigonometry. It is also used in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. The study of pi has also led to advancements in our understanding of irrational numbers and the concept of infinity.