Exploring the Ratio of Gravity to Curvature of the Earth

In summary, the closer two points at an equal distance down from the surface in separate holes get to the center, the less distance there is between the 2 points. This ratio is related to gravity, and gravity is different near the center compared to at the center of the Earth.
Kingarthur
If I dig 2 holes a little space apart, and then they intersect straight down, because of the curvature of the earth, then there is more than one up direction from the center. The closer 2 points at an equal distance down from the surface in separate holes get to the center, the less distance there is between the 2 points. I think that ratio has got to be related to gravity! Can we discuss the ratio and how it's related to gravity? By the way, is gravity different near the center? At the center?

Physics news on Phys.org

Kingarthur said:
If I dig 2 holes a little space apart, and then they intersect straight down, because of the curvature of the earth, then there is more than one up direction from the center. The closer 2 points at an equal distance down from the surface in separate holes get to the center, the less distance there is between the 2 points. I think that ratio has got to be related to gravity! Can we discuss the ratio and how it's related to gravity? By the way, is gravity different near the center? At the center?

If we consider the Earth to a perfect sphere having a constant density(or varying only as function of radius).then the gravitational pull of the Earth on an object at any height or depth would be constant on the surface of a sphere with radius [tex]\vec{r}=r(earth)+height[/tex] or [tex]\vec{r}=r(earth)-depth[/tex].

The gravitational force between 2 force on the surface of such sphere would not depend on the gravitational force due to the earth.It would depend only on the linear distance between them and their masses.

[tex]\ F={\frac {Gm_{{1}}m_{{2}}}{{r}^{2}}}[/tex]

So yes the gravitational force between them would increase as you go down because the distance between the objects decreases.Not because the Earth does something to them.
Kingarthur said:
By the way, is gravity different near the center? At the center?
The the gravitational force due to Earth on each of the 2 objects approaches 0 as you get close to the center. The gravitational force between the 2 objects is still depend only on their distance

Thank you for your response. I was sort of getting at whether or not the ratio has anything to do with the shape of the earth. The world could be square, but it is not. I'm thinking that mass causes gravity, and that things fall to the core, but then stop, or possibly some things rise as vapor. The Earth's shape causes things that fall in separate holes to get closer to one another while they go "straight down". So, I wonder if that ratio of getting closer as they go down is proof of the cause of the Earth's shape; if the Earth was forced to be a ball by gravity. I'm new to science, and maybe I don't know how to express this idea. Obviously the objects’ gravitational attraction to each other is a separate issue, related to their mass.

Related to Exploring the Ratio of Gravity to Curvature of the Earth

1. What is the ratio of gravity to curvature of the Earth?

The ratio of gravity to curvature of the Earth is approximately 9.8 m/s² to 1. This means that for every 1 meter of curvature on the Earth's surface, there is an acceleration of 9.8 meters per second squared due to gravity.

2. How is this ratio calculated?

This ratio is calculated using the formula for gravitational acceleration (g = G * M / r²) and the formula for curvature (c = 1 / r), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, and r is the radius of the Earth.

3. Why is this ratio important?

This ratio is important because it helps us understand the relationship between gravity and the shape of the Earth. It also has practical applications in fields such as geodesy and geophysics.

4. Does this ratio vary at different locations on Earth?

Yes, this ratio can vary slightly at different locations on Earth due to variations in the Earth's mass distribution and shape. This is known as the Earth's geoid, which is an equipotential surface of the Earth's gravity field.

5. How does the ratio of gravity to curvature affect objects on the Earth's surface?

The ratio of gravity to curvature affects the weight of objects on Earth, as well as their trajectories. For example, objects will weigh slightly less at higher elevations due to the decrease in curvature, and their paths will follow the curvature of the Earth's surface due to the influence of gravity.