Exploring the Principle of Least Action in Physics

In summary, Hamilton derived the principle of least action which states that the motion of a system that is under consideration is the one that results in the action being stationary. He also showed how the Euler-Lagrange equation comes from and how we use that to derive the laws of motion. Susskind is a great teacher who has produced excellent video lectures on Classical Physics.
adoion
hi,

please if somebody could explain why anybody would consider the "action" and is there any proof that the minimal action actually gives the correct route of a problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is considered because it works.

If you are asking what motivated Hamilton in the first place, well, that is a tough question. He had a lot of time on his hands since his job as Irish Royal Astronomer was not very demanding.

Dr.D said:
It is considered because it works.

If you are asking what motivated Hamilton in the first place, well, that is a tough question. He had a lot of time on his hands since his job as Irish Royal Astronomer was not very demanding.

hehe I bet he did but I think that Lagrange did most of the important work on this subject.

I recommend Prof. Leonard Susskind's video lectures on Classical Physics. You can find them on youtube or itunes.

He derives the principle of least action on the blackboard using the calculus of variations. He also shows where the Euler-Lagrange equation comes from and how we use that to derive the laws of motion. If I remember correctly, he also shows how to derive Noerther's Theorem from the calculus of variations.

Susskind is a great teacher. The video production quality is excellent. I've been having fun for the past 18 months by spending 15 minutes per day working through his 165 online lectures.

anorlunda said:
I recommend Prof. Leonard Susskind's video lectures on Classical Physics. You can find them on youtube or itunes.

He derives the principle of least action on the blackboard using the calculus of variations. He also shows where the Euler-Lagrange equation comes from and how we use that to derive the laws of motion. If I remember correctly, he also shows how to derive Noerther's Theorem from the calculus of variations.

Susskind is a great teacher. The video production quality is excellent. I've been having fun for the past 18 months by spending 15 minutes per day working through his 165 online lectures.
great, thanks a lot on that info that's exactly what I needed. Susskind is a funny guy :)

anorlunda said:

That's wrong! You can't derive the principle of least action using calculus of variations.
The principle of least action states that of all possible evolutions of a system, the one that is realized is the one for which the action is stationary. Now people ask how should we make the action stationary? Here comes the calculus of variations!

The principle of least action dates back to the days that people thought about science in a way that was too concerned with theology. They said because god does things the best way, the economic way, so in the things that happen in nature, something is minimum and somehow they found that something to be action. Then it appeared that this is actually a very useful way so the method remained without those theological things! So basically we say its correct because it works.

Shyan said:
So basically we say its correct because it works.
When it comes right down to it, that is the reason that we do anything in physics.

DaleSpam said:
When it comes right down to it, that is the reason that we do anything in physics.
And that's exactly what students should learn. Physicists are trying to understand what's happening inside a black box-the universe-and they only can do different things to it and see how it reacts. Then they build models somehow that if they do the same thing to that model, it reacts the same way. Then, the more actions on the black box and more reactions seen from it, the more complete the model becomes and more clearly we can see inside the black box. That's the whole business.
But it should be noted that this method doesn't guarantee that the model is exactly how the black box's inner structure is. It only assures we have something that behaves exactly as the black box. Its another question whether the model can be made exactly as the black box or not or how should it be done!

Related to Exploring the Principle of Least Action in Physics

1. What is the principle of least action?

The principle of least action, also known as the principle of least effort, is a fundamental concept in physics that states that a physical system will always follow the path that requires the least amount of energy or effort to reach a certain outcome.

2. How does the principle of least action relate to classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, the principle of least action is used to determine the path that a physical system will take between two points in space and time. It is a fundamental principle that helps explain the motion of objects and systems in the universe.

3. Who first proposed the principle of least action?

The principle of least action was first proposed by French mathematician and physicist Pierre Louis Maupertuis in the 18th century. However, it was later refined and popularized by other scientists such as Leonhard Euler and Joseph-Louis Lagrange.

4. What is the significance of the principle of least action?

The principle of least action has a great significance in physics and other scientific fields as it provides a framework for understanding the behavior of physical systems. It is a powerful tool for predicting the motion of objects and systems, and has been used in various areas of science, including mechanics, optics, and quantum mechanics.

5. What are some real-world applications of the principle of least action?

The principle of least action has various real-world applications, including in the fields of engineering, economics, and biology. For example, it is used in designing efficient transportation systems, optimizing energy usage in buildings, and understanding the behavior of animal movements. It also plays a crucial role in the development of theories and models in physics and other branches of science.