Exploring the Power Set: \aleph_0 and Beyond

In summary, starting with a one element set and repeatedly taking its power set will result in a sequence of sets with unbounded cardinalities, but each individual set will have a finite cardinality. The existence of an infinite set is ensured by the axiom of infinity in set theory. While the set of cardinalities will have a cardinality of aleph-null, none of its elements will have that cardinality.
cragar
If I started with a one element set and took its power set. And then I just kept taking the power set forever, would I eventually end up
with a set that had cardinality of [itex] \aleph_0 [/itex] ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
cragar said:
If I started with a one element set and took its power set. And then I just kept taking the power set forever, would I eventually end up

Depends what you mean by "eventually end up."

You would have a sequence of sets of cardinalities 1, 2, 4, 16, 2^16, ...

So what you would "end up" with is no more than a sequence of sets. You would have [itex] \aleph_0 [/itex] many sets all together, but each one would have finite cardinality.

The sequence of cardinalities would be unbounded, meaning that there is no finite limit to how large the cardinalities get. But each cardinality would be a finite number.

cragar said:

because just taking power sets doesn't give us anything else from finite sets, except MORE finite sets, one cannot PROVE the existence of an infinite set. but we "intuitively feel" that the natural numbers ought to be a set, so an axiom is added to set theory that guarantees the existence of at least one infinite set (this is called, oddly enough, the axiom of infinity).

this allows us to show that there is at least (and therefore several) one set with cardinality aleph-null. in other words, we feel like any worth-while system of mathematics ought to come with induction "built-in" as a standard feature. if math (in this case, "set theory") doesn't formally include arithmetic (at least), one feels that a wrong turn has been taken somewhere (sort of like, if you can't say "hello" and "good-bye" in a language, perhaps you're not using a very good language).

of course, no one has ever checked that "+1" always gives you bigger and bigger numbers (who has that kind of patience?), but it seems illogical that it would not. this is what people mean when they say "the successor function is injective", that n+1 is always something not in the set {0,1,2,...,n}.

to answer your original question:

the set of cardinalities would have cardinality aleph-null, but none of the elements of that set would.

interesting, thanks for the responses

Yes, you would eventually end up with a set that has a cardinality of \aleph_0. This is because the power set of a set with one element would have two elements, and each subsequent power set would have twice the number of elements as the previous one. This means that the cardinality of each power set would be increasing by powers of 2. Since \aleph_0 represents the cardinality of the set of natural numbers, which can be thought of as the "smallest" infinite set, the cardinality of the final power set would also be \aleph_0. This concept is known as the Cantor's theorem and it shows that there are different levels of infinity and that the power set operation can generate sets with higher levels of infinity.

Related to Exploring the Power Set: \aleph_0 and Beyond

1. What does the term "power set" mean?

The power set of a set is the set of all possible subsets of that set. In other words, it is the set of all possible combinations of elements that can be formed from the original set.

2. What is the cardinality of the power set of a set with a countably infinite number of elements?

The cardinality of the power set of a set with a countably infinite number of elements, denoted by \aleph_0, is equal to the cardinality of the set of natural numbers. This means that the power set is also countably infinite.

3. Can the power set of a set with an uncountable number of elements be larger than \aleph_0?

Yes, it is possible for the power set of a set with an uncountable number of elements to be larger than \aleph_0. In fact, the cardinality of the power set of an uncountable set is always greater than the cardinality of the original set.

4. How is the concept of power set related to the concept of infinity?

The power set is closely related to the concept of infinity because it allows us to understand and explore the different levels of infinity. The cardinality of the power set increases as the original set becomes larger, allowing us to see the different sizes of infinity that exist beyond \aleph_0.

5. Are there any real-life applications of exploring the power set beyond \aleph_0?

Yes, there are several real-life applications of exploring the power set beyond \aleph_0. For example, it is used in computer science to understand the complexity of algorithms and data structures. It is also used in set theory and mathematical logic to study the foundations of mathematics and to explore the limits of what can be expressed and understood.