Why Do Water Droplets Behave Differently Based on Size and Surface?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of creating a large water drop by spinning a bottle containing small water drops. The speaker wonders why the small water drops do not move when the bottle is spun and why water has the ability to merge into one large drop while other materials cannot. The explanation for these effects is due to water's surface tension, which is essential for life to exist.
Fphy91
Today I was sitting and holding a bottle with few drops on water in it. I placed bottle horizontally and started to spin in around its axis to collect more drops and make a big drop of water. There were few small water drops that I missed and then I stopped spinning bottle. The water drop was large and it was obvious that if I start spinning bottle again drop will start to move because of gravity, but what about those small water drops that I missed. Why are they not moving? Does it have something to do with mass or is it that friction force is stronger than gravity?(but again if small water drop is up side down *-imagine you have small water drops on your ceiling -* why it just does not drop down?). Also why and how water merge into one big drop? Why other elements or materials can't do the same?( i guess that they have to be in one of 3 elemental states to have ability to merge and not all can do it).
I am newbie to all this but really interested.

Physics news on Phys.org
+1 DEvens. These effects are due to surface tension, of which water has a lot. And it is one (of several) reasons why water is the keystone to the existence of life as we know it.

Last edited:

What is the purpose of exploring the physics of water droplets?

The purpose of exploring the physics of water droplets is to better understand the properties and behavior of water on a microscopic level. This can help us understand and predict larger scale phenomena such as weather patterns, ocean currents, and even the formation of galaxies.

How do water droplets form?

Water droplets form when water vapor in the air condenses into liquid form due to a drop in temperature or an increase in pressure. This can happen naturally in the atmosphere or artificially by, for example, spraying water from a bottle.

What are some interesting properties of water droplets?

Some interesting properties of water droplets include their ability to stick to surfaces due to surface tension, their spherical shape due to surface tension and internal pressure, and their ability to refract light and create rainbows.

What is the relationship between temperature and water droplets?

The relationship between temperature and water droplets is that as temperature decreases, water vapor in the air is less able to hold its gaseous form and begins to condense into liquid droplets. On the other hand, when temperature increases, water droplets can evaporate back into water vapor.

How does the study of water droplets relate to other fields of science?

The study of water droplets is interconnected with many other fields of science, such as meteorology, chemistry, and biology. Understanding the behavior of water droplets can help us understand weather patterns, chemical reactions, and the role of water in living organisms.