Exploring the Physics of Particles Moving Through Cells

In summary: I thought a proton was considered a point particle. How do you get that value for its...diameter?A proton is considered a point particle because it has zerovolume. You can calculate its diameter by taking its distance from the center of the atom and multiplying by the atomic radius.
Meatbot
I understand that space might be made up of individual units, such that you can't have a location which is between two units. When moving, a particle would just "pop" into the next unit repeatedly instead of smoothly moving - like how a computer screen works with pixels. Do I understand that at least somewhat correctly?

Ok, so let's consider a particle in Cell A which is moving, eventually to reach Cell B. What is keeping the particle in cell A from moving instantly to B? In other words, what is going on in that cell that determines how long the particle must stay there before it moves to Cell B? How does Cell A "know" the velocity of the particle so that it can allow the particle to continue to Cell B at the correct time? What is keeping track of how long the particle is in Cell A? Could you take a snapshot of the universe and by looking into Cell A, be able to tell how soon the particle would move? Hopefully you can see what I'm getting at.

Is it building up some kind of tension which must reach a certain threshold before breaking? How does that work? Does it gradually exist in B while gradully disappearing from A? Also, if you have to be in a certain cell, doesn't that mean you know the location and thus cannot determine the velocity at all?

Astronomy news on Phys.org

I understand that space might be made up of individual units, such that you can't have a location which is between two units.
It is? Have there been experiments that show this to be true?

Academic said:
It is? Have there been experiments that show this to be true?
That's why I said "if space is quantized" and "might be made up of individual units".

Last edited:

He's talking about Planck length.

Meatbot, just because there is a smallest length does not mean things cannot move discretely. The units do not represent rigid boxes of space.

When there is an energy field, energy levels can be defined. Particle which are affected by this energy field can only occupy certain space which is accordance with these energy levels. In such a fixed system, space is quantized.

However, the shape of an energy field can be made to varying continuously. By doing so, the affected particle is able to continuously occupy any spatial coordinate. In this sense, and ultimately, space is not quantized.

DaveC426913 said:
He's talking about Planck length.

Meatbot, just because there is a smallest length does not mean things cannot move discretely. The units do not represent rigid boxes of space.

ok, thanks. I didn't know it was conceived that way...so things could be moving much slower than for example 1 Planck length/year with relation to us and we just wouldn't be able to observe it until the year was over? So it's possible to get your velocity up to c-(.5 Planck length/year)?

Actually I don't understand how even if there is a shortest possible distance, that something can still move discretely. If it could, it would be able to move less than the shortest distance.

Are you saying that there really isn't a shortest distance, just a shortest distance we can actually measure?

Last edited:

Meatbot said:
Actually I don't understand how even if there is a shortest possible distance, that something can still move discretely. If it could, it would be able to move less than the shortest distance.

Are you saying that there really isn't a shortest distance, just a shortest distance we can actually measure?

Well no, I'm just saying the whole thing isn't as literal as you're making it out to be.

For example, the scale we are talking about (10-33m) is much much smaller than the scale at which any kind of discreteness in particles exists anyway (10-15m). i.e. a proton is a billion billion Plank units in diameter.

Here's what I'd say: the Planck length is the unique length that can be formed by a product of the fundamental constants of free space (gravitational constant, Planck's constant, and speed of light). So the reason it's so special is that, roughly speaking, it's "nature's choice" of a length unit (at least, you'd have a harder time making that argument about any other length). Now, it just happens to be a really really tiny length, and for that reason a lot of people speculate that it might be some sort of "shortest length," but the more I learn, the less convinced I am that that has to be true.

DaveC426913 said:
For example, the scale we are talking about (10-33m) is much much smaller than the scale at which any kind of discreteness in particles exists anyway (10-15m). i.e. a proton is a billion billion Plank units in diameter.

I thought a proton was considered a point particle. How do you get that value for its diameter?

Now we know that the proton isn't a point particle, it's made of quarks and gluons. The value for its diameter probably comes from high-energy scattering experiments (particle accelerators). Basically, you get two beams of protons circling around in opposite directions, and the larger the proton is, the more likely it is that two of them will hit each other each time the beams cross. So knowing how many protons there are in the beams, how fast they're going, and how many collisions you get, you can figure out how large an individual proton is. (This is of course vastly simplified; there are also other, more complicated experimental and theoretical methods for determining the size of the proton)

oh yea, duh

lol

DaveC426913 said:
Well no, I'm just saying the whole thing isn't as literal as you're making it out to be.

Ahem, definitely smaller than my bathroom scale! Long live the proton! (and quarks and gluons, et al).

Consider a photon. It goes from zero to c in zero distance.
That is, there is no 1/8th, 1/4th or 1/2 c, etc... in that scenario.
Odd? Yes, but that's the way it is.

Related to Exploring the Physics of Particles Moving Through Cells

1. What is the importance of studying the physics of particles moving through cells?

The movement of particles through cells is essential for many biological processes, such as nutrient transport, cell signaling, and immune response. Understanding the physics behind these movements can provide insights into how cells function and how diseases can disrupt these processes.

2. How do particles move through cells?

Particles can move through cells through various mechanisms, including diffusion, active transport, and endocytosis. These movements are driven by forces such as concentration gradients, molecular motors, and cellular structures.

3. What role does the cytoskeleton play in particle movement through cells?

The cytoskeleton is a network of protein filaments that provides structural support and facilitates movement within the cell. It plays a crucial role in particle movement by providing tracks for molecular motors and aiding in the formation of cellular structures, such as cilia and flagella.

4. How does the size and shape of particles affect their movement through cells?

The size and shape of particles can significantly impact their movement through cells. Smaller particles can move faster through the cell, while larger particles may encounter more resistance. Additionally, the shape of particles can affect their ability to pass through tight spaces or interact with cellular structures.

5. How can studying particle movement through cells aid in drug delivery?

Understanding how particles move through cells can aid in the development of more efficient drug delivery systems. By understanding the physical barriers and mechanisms involved in particle movement, researchers can design drug carriers that can effectively target and deliver drugs to specific cells or tissues in the body.