Exploring the Path of an Object in a Hollow Cylinder in Zero Gravity

In summary, the conversation is about a question proposed by an applied maths teacher regarding the path an object would take if propelled into a hollow cylinder with its own gravitational effects and placed in zero gravity. The options given are continuing straight downward, moving to the center and continuing straight downward, moving to the nearest side, or spiraling downward. The conversation also mentions a diagram and a link to a paper where someone else had a similar question. There are different theories and ideas presented, but the answer is still unknown.
thesweeneyman
My applied maths teacher proposed this question while we were having a discussion about gravitational effects. We do not know the answer.

Given a hollow cylinder with a mass large enough to have its own gravitational effects,
placed in zero gravity.

If you propel an object into to an open end of the cylinder, what path will it take?
(a) continue straight downward?
(b) move to the centre and continue straight downward?
(c) move to the nearest side?
(d) spiral downward?

the attachment with this thread is my bad diagram of the cylinder.

We are extremely curious as to what the answer is so we would be extremely grateful if it could be figured out by better minds.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 452
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting question.

http://www.jstor.org/pss/2397270

Apparently someone else had the same question.

Last edited by a moderator:

i did not know that page existed thanks

I just wanted to place a guess.

From the following (probably faulty) reasoning. Imagine a planet orbiting a large body. I think that if the planet follows a stable orbit, the large body does not undergo a displacement over the period of the orbit. So now, let's image the planet breaks up for forms a belt. The large body is not accelerated by the belt, and for the orbit to be stable, it must be an ellipse. Your cylinder is not an ellipse, it's a circle with the object off center. To make an ellipse a circle, you must pull some parts away from the object, which results in a weaker pull toward the center, and the object will deflect toward the outside of the cylinder.

I would be interested to know what the paper says.

I think it would continue straight through, because for any point in a 2-D ring the gravitational force is 0, so if you integrated over dz you would still get a net force of 0N, so its position wouldn't change.

Edit: Hm actually I'm not sure now, deriving it from a small area of uniform surface density, it suggests that F1/F2=R2/R1 which suggests it moves to the nearest side.

Last edited:

@Sciurus interesting theory but there is no rotation in the cylinder like there is in a belts orbit... P.s i can't access that paper

@Vagan fair point but the radius may be shorter on the near side which povides a large force but there is a lot more mass on the opposite side

Related to Exploring the Path of an Object in a Hollow Cylinder in Zero Gravity

1. How does an object move in a hollow cylinder in zero gravity?

When an object is placed inside a hollow cylinder in zero gravity, it will continue to move along a straight path unless acted upon by an external force. The absence of gravity means that there is no downward force acting on the object, so it will not fall towards the bottom of the cylinder. Instead, it will move in a straight line until it reaches the other end of the cylinder.

2. What factors affect the path of an object in a hollow cylinder in zero gravity?

The path of an object in a hollow cylinder in zero gravity is primarily affected by its initial velocity and any external forces applied to it. The shape and size of the cylinder may also play a role in the object's motion, as well as any obstacles or obstructions inside the cylinder that could alter its path.

3. Can an object's path in a hollow cylinder in zero gravity be predicted?

Yes, the path of an object in a hollow cylinder in zero gravity can be predicted using mathematical equations and principles of motion. By knowing the initial conditions of the object and any external forces acting on it, scientists can calculate its trajectory and predict where it will end up in the cylinder.

4. How does the path of an object in a hollow cylinder in zero gravity differ from its path in a normal environment?

In a normal environment with gravity, an object will fall towards the ground due to the force of gravity. In a hollow cylinder in zero gravity, there is no downward force acting on the object, so it will not fall but instead move in a straight line. Additionally, the absence of friction in zero gravity can also impact the object's path as there is no force to slow it down.

5. What practical applications does studying the path of an object in a hollow cylinder in zero gravity have?

Studying the path of an object in a hollow cylinder in zero gravity can have practical applications in space exploration and satellite technology. By understanding how objects move in zero gravity environments, scientists can better design and control spacecraft and satellites. This knowledge can also be applied to other industries, such as material handling and transportation systems, where zero gravity or microgravity conditions may be present.