Exploring the Oscillating Wave Problem: Finding Solutions for Vibrating Systems

In summary, the conversation is about finding the force and length of a vibrating string using the formula f = (1/2L)*sqrt(F/u) and incorporating the y component of the force. The person is struggling because they do not have the length of the string or the mass density, and they are wondering if there is another formula or if they are missing something. They also mention the importance of the sinθ component in finding the force.
Fionn00
I would appreciate help on this problem.

Homework Statement

lpwTN.png

Homework Equations

f = (1/2L)*sqrt(F/u)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is vibrating at its fundamental frequency so L = (wavelength/2). To find k I reckon I need to find the force on the band and this should equal -kx. But I don't have the length of the string or the mass density. Is there a formula I am missing or something or what ?

Edit; or possibly it has something to do with this y = 2 Asin(kx+ot)sin(wt+ot). o is phase angle.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Fionn00! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ :wink:)
Fionn00 said:
… I don't have the length of the string or the mass density. Is there a formula I am missing or something or what ?

Don't forget you only need the "y" component of the force …

that sinθ should make all the difference :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Don't forget you only need the "y" component of the force …

that sinθ should make all the difference :wink:
Thanks for replying.

The y coordinate is the force in this formula f=1/2l * √F/u is it not ?
If so I want the force along the elastic which is this force divided by sinθ and sinθ is 1/L and the L's don't cancel so I still can't work it out ?

Related to Exploring the Oscillating Wave Problem: Finding Solutions for Vibrating Systems

What is an oscillating wave problem?

An oscillating wave problem is a type of scientific problem that involves studying the behavior of waves that oscillate or vibrate back and forth. These waves can be found in various forms, such as electromagnetic waves, sound waves, and water waves.

What are the key elements of an oscillating wave problem?

The key elements of an oscillating wave problem include the wave's frequency, amplitude, and wavelength. The frequency refers to the number of oscillations per unit time, the amplitude is the maximum displacement of the wave from its equilibrium position, and the wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the wave.

What are some real-life examples of oscillating wave problems?

Oscillating wave problems can be found in many natural phenomena, such as the movement of ocean waves, the vibration of guitar strings, and the sound produced by a tuning fork. They are also essential in technological applications, such as radio communication, musical instruments, and medical ultrasound imaging.

How are oscillating wave problems solved?

The solution to an oscillating wave problem involves using mathematical equations, such as the wave equation, to describe the behavior of the wave. These equations can be solved using various techniques, such as separation of variables and Fourier analysis, to determine the wave's properties and behavior.

Why are oscillating wave problems important?

Oscillating wave problems are crucial in understanding many natural phenomena and technological applications. They help scientists and engineers design and develop new technologies, study the properties of materials, and understand the behavior of waves in different environments. They also have practical applications in fields such as medicine, communication, and energy production.