Exploring the Origin of Electric Field in F-N-L's Law

In summary, the conversation discusses the origin of the electric field in the F-N-L's law, which is defined as the line integral of the electric field and is related to the time derivative of the magnetic field. The electric field is described as the force acting on an electric charge and is characterized by its intensity. The conversation also mentions the electrostatic field and its relation to the electric field in the equation.
Ryuzaky
Good evening. Can anyone explain me the origin of the electric field in the F-N-L's law ?
I'm referring to this one :

[itex]\int_l \vec E^* d\vec l =-\int_s \frac{\partial \vec B}{\partial t} d\vec S[/itex]

where [itex]\vec E^*[/itex] is defined as (i'm reporting the words of the book) :
[itex]\vec E - \vec v \times \vec B[/itex].

in particular what is [itex]\vec E[/itex] and what is its origin.

//I apologize for any syntax/grammar error, I have to improve my English, I'm Italian.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's the intensity of the electric field.

[itex]E[/itex][itex]=[/itex][itex]\frac{F}{q}[/itex],
where F is the force, which the field acts on the electric charge

Intensity of the electric field is used to characterize the electric field.

But that is the electrostatic field and its circuitation is 0 !

Last edited:
do you want to know where the E field comes from in faradays law or how E is related to B in that equation.

Hello,

Thank you for your question. The electric field in the F-N-L's law refers to the induced electric field that is created when a magnetic field changes over time. This is known as Faraday's law of induction, which states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric field.

The origin of the electric field in this law can be explained by Maxwell's equations, specifically the Maxwell-Faraday equation. This equation states that the curl of the electric field is equal to the negative rate of change of the magnetic field over time. In other words, the electric field is created due to the change in the magnetic field.

To understand this concept better, let's break down the equation you mentioned. The first part, \int_l \vec E^* d\vec l, represents the line integral of the induced electric field along a closed path. This means that the electric field is being measured around a closed loop.

The second part, -\int_s \frac{\partial \vec B}{\partial t} d\vec S, represents the surface integral of the change in the magnetic field over time. This means that the rate of change of the magnetic field is being measured over a surface.

Now, to answer your question about the origin of \vec E, it is a combination of two factors - the electric field itself (\vec E) and the motion of the charged particles in the presence of a magnetic field (\vec v \times \vec B). This is known as the Lorentz force, which describes the force experienced by a charged particle in an electric and magnetic field. Therefore, \vec E^* represents the induced electric field due to the motion of charged particles in the presence of a changing magnetic field.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the origin of the electric field in the F-N-L's law. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best,

Related to Exploring the Origin of Electric Field in F-N-L's Law

1. What is F-N-L's Law and why is it important in understanding electric fields?

F-N-L's Law, also known as Faraday-Neumann-Lenz Law, states that a changing magnetic field induces an electric field. This law is important because it helps explain the relationship between electricity and magnetism, and is a fundamental principle in the study of electromagnetism.

2. How does F-N-L's Law relate to electromagnetic induction?

F-N-L's Law is one of the key principles in electromagnetic induction. It explains how a changing magnetic field can generate an electric field, which in turn can induce current in a conductor. This is the basis for many technologies such as generators and transformers.

3. What is the origin of the electric field in F-N-L's Law?

The origin of the electric field in F-N-L's Law is the changing magnetic field. As the magnetic field changes, it creates a circular electric field around it, which can then induce current in nearby conductors.

4. Can F-N-L's Law be applied to both AC and DC circuits?

Yes, F-N-L's Law can be applied to both AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) circuits. In AC circuits, the changing magnetic field is produced by the alternating current itself, while in DC circuits, it can be produced by moving the magnet or changing the current flow.

5. How is F-N-L's Law used in practical applications?

F-N-L's Law has many practical applications, including generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in technologies such as magnetic levitation and MRI machines. Additionally, F-N-L's Law is essential in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves, which are used in communication technologies such as radio and television.