Exploring the Nature of Time: An Equation?

In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of constructing an equation that isolates time on one side, with reference to the famous E=mc^2 equation. Some equations were suggested, such as t=d/v and t=v/a, but it was concluded that there is no new understanding of time through these equations.
Hernik
Hi.

Just wondering: is it possible to construct an equation from known validated physics isolating time on one side of the equation sign? I'm asking because the famous E=MCC tells us Energy and Mass are two manifestations of the same fenomenen. And I have often wondered about the nature of time, so maybe an equation where "time equals whatever" can be used as a guidance for confused thoughts :-)

Henrik

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hernik said:
Hi.

Just wondering: is it possible to construct an equation from known validated physics isolating time on one side of the equation sign? I'm asking because the famous E=MCC tells us Energy and Mass are two manifestations of the same fenomenen. And I have often wondered about the nature of time, so maybe an equation where "time equals whatever" can be used as a guidance for confused thoughts :-)

Henrik
Of course. Consider an object that moves with constant acceleration. Then, ##\Delta x = vt+\frac{a}{2}t^2##. Thus, we obtain that ##t=\frac{-v\pm\sqrt{v^2+2a\Delta x}}{a}##.

Have we obtained a strikingly awesome new understanding of time? ...No.

Time is often best considered as an independent variable. There really isn't any true way of working with time, since we can't really do any real "experiments" with it. In order to run an experiment, we have to be able to affect the subject of interest. Time does not, as far as I am aware, react to things (id est, in more colloquial terms, you can't poke it with a stick or something to make it do something).

Hernik said:
Hi.

Henrik

Revisit what c is. your answer is already in that concept, which is part of that equation you mentioned familiarity with, not to mention that curious c squared part of it.

Last edited:
Hernik said:
Hi.

Henrik
There are many such equations, v= d/t so t= d/v, a= v/t so t= v/a, etc. Surely that's not what you mean?

Thank you all for answers. It's not going to help me, is it. But just to be sure I'll ask - doen't all three answers still contain time on the right side of the "="? As well velocity as acceleration cannot be described without time?

Thanks, Henrik

Hernik said:
Thank you all for answers. It's not going to help me, is it. But just to be sure I'll ask - doen't all three answers still contain time on the right side of the "="?
Were you replying to what HallsOfIvy wrote? If so, I have quoted it below.
HallsofIvy said:
There are many such equations, v= d/t so t= d/v, a= v/t so t= v/a, etc. Surely that's not what you mean?
The first and second equation are equivalent, as are the third and fourth. The second equation gives t as a function of d and v; the fourth equation gives t as a function of v and a.

Hernik said:
As well velocity as acceleration cannot be described without time?
?
I don't know what you're asking here.

Thanks Mark44. My math is not very good, so maybe I'm just being a fool. But my guess was that t=d/v is the same as t=d/d/t, so there's still time on both sides, as it makes no sense talking about velocity without the time part of that concept. And the same with the t=v/a,

But anyway - I realize that the point made by Mandelbroth:
"Have we obtained a strikingly awesome new understanding of time? ...No." is a good description for all the equations you have reminded me of here. :-)

Again: Thank all.

Related to Exploring the Nature of Time: An Equation?

What is the equation for exploring the nature of time?

The equation for exploring the nature of time is a theoretical equation that represents the relationship between time, space, and matter. It is often expressed as T = t * (1 + (v/c)^2)^(1/2), where T is time, t is proper time, v is velocity, and c is the speed of light. This equation is based on Einstein's theory of relativity and is used to understand the concept of time dilation and how time is affected by motion and gravity.

How does the equation for exploring the nature of time relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

The equation for exploring the nature of time is derived from Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that time and space are not absolute but are relative to the observer's frame of reference. This theory also explains how time is affected by motion and gravity, and the equation is a mathematical representation of these concepts.

Can the equation for exploring the nature of time be used to travel through time?

No, the equation for exploring the nature of time is a theoretical equation and is not currently applicable for time travel. It only helps us understand the nature of time and how it is affected by different factors. The concept of time travel is still a subject of science fiction and has not been proven possible by scientific evidence.

What are some real-world applications of the equation for exploring the nature of time?

The equation for exploring the nature of time has various applications in fields such as astrophysics, cosmology, and space exploration. It is used to study the effects of time on different celestial bodies, such as black holes, and to understand the expansion of the universe. In addition, this equation is also used in GPS technology to account for the effects of time dilation on satellite signals.

Is the equation for exploring the nature of time a complete representation of time?

No, the equation for exploring the nature of time is a simplified representation of time and does not account for all aspects of the concept. Time is a complex phenomenon, and there are still many aspects of it that are not fully understood. The equation is just one tool to help us understand and study time, but it is not a complete representation of it.