Exploring the Mystery of CPU Transistors and Performance

In summary: That is why the transistors get more expensive as more features are added. In summary, adding more transistors to a CPU will make it faster, but this is mainly done to improve performance by moving memory around more quickly.
jforce93
Hi,

I'm confused about something. Why is it that in magazines and videos it seems as though adding more transistors to a CPU will make it faster? Is it a numbers thing (like, instead of marking amps on signs, they show volts)? I mean, I understand that you can do multithreading, multiple cores etc. but from the assembly (z80 and PowerPC) I've done, it seems as though using a CPU is mainly just moving around memory from register to register. My physics teacher (a former electrical engineer) showed me the register structure in a simple CPU, and it seemed to only require a few transistors for each register. So, a few thousand transistors on a 64-bit chip seems reasonable, but billions?

Thanks,

Jordan

Technology news on Phys.org
floating point operations, cache memory

Oh, that makes sense.

To design a CPU that is "General", which is designed to be very flexible and do a lot of stuff,
needs a lot of logic, memories, cashes like Xitami said and then the transistor number will increase very rapidly. But in general if you want to make it faster it will cost you in hardware to be able to do everything you want in less number of clock cycles.

Yeah. I'm designing an 8-bit (I'm a junior in High School btw), that I eventually want to convert the design of to run with water. Maybe I could run Linux on the water one lol jk.

It's for educational purposes. I want it to be involved in my senior project or internship in some way.

run with water?

I recommend to start without an operating system at all, it uses virtual address and stuff, if you don't run uLinux.

Do you already have an instruction set you should implement?
Is the instructions decoded in a micro memory or is it pipelined?

jforce93 said:
Hi,
So, a few thousand transistors on a 64-bit chip seems reasonable, but billions?
The major concept behind all the other transistors (cache, control logic) is to allow the small arithmetic logic to execute without waiting.

Related to Exploring the Mystery of CPU Transistors and Performance

What are CPU transistors and how do they affect performance?

CPU transistors are tiny electronic components that act as switches, allowing electricity to flow through them or be blocked. They are the basic building blocks of a computer's processor and are responsible for carrying out all of its operations. The more transistors a CPU has, the faster and more efficiently it can process information, resulting in better performance.

How have CPU transistors evolved over time?

CPU transistors have significantly evolved over the years, becoming smaller and more efficient. In the 1970s, CPUs had only a few thousand transistors, while modern CPUs can have billions of transistors. This miniaturization has allowed for faster processing speeds and increased performance. Additionally, advancements in materials and manufacturing techniques have also contributed to the evolution of CPU transistors.

What factors affect the performance of CPU transistors?

Several factors can affect the performance of CPU transistors, including their size, number, and speed. Smaller transistors can switch on and off faster, leading to faster processing speeds. The number of transistors also plays a significant role, as more transistors mean more operations can be carried out simultaneously. Additionally, the materials used to make the transistors, such as silicon, can also impact performance.

How do CPU transistors impact the overall speed of a computer?

CPU transistors have a direct impact on the speed of a computer. As mentioned, the more transistors a CPU has, the faster it can process information. This, in turn, affects the overall speed of the computer. Additionally, the speed at which the transistors can switch on and off also plays a role in the overall speed of the computer. A higher number of faster transistors will result in a faster computer.

What is the relationship between CPU transistor density and performance?

There is a direct relationship between CPU transistor density and performance. As transistor density increases, more transistors can fit on a single chip, resulting in improved performance. This is because a higher number of transistors allows for more operations to be carried out simultaneously, leading to faster processing speeds. Therefore, as technology advances and transistor density increases, we can expect to see even better performance from CPUs.