Exploring the Mystery of Anti Matter Energy

In summary: Positrons have been held in storage rings for days. Antihydrogen has been held in storage rings for 16 minutes.
charger9198
I was watching a programme on anti matter 'discovery' whereby a guy claimed that research is going on to create this... The way this guy described the energy was that if a 'anti matter' clone of himself was to touch him, both him and the surroundings would be obliterated..

He claimed that Just one gram of anti matter would provide enough energy to have roughly 40 return trips to space

My question is, how does this work? Does anyone understand or can explain the theory behind this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Antimatter is like normal matter but the charges in the atom are reversed. Instead of having negatively charged electrons orbiting the positively charged nucleus anti-atoms have positively charged positrons orbiting a negatively charged nucleus. When matter and antimatter come into contact they annihilate each other in an almost perfect mass to energy reactions.

Antimatter can be made but in amounts of a few particles at a time (and the world record for storage is only 16 minutes). Consequently antimatter is one of the most expensive substances in existence. Unfortunately antimatter isn't a magic energy source; to make it takes energy. In some respects it would be an excellent rocket fuel, energy storage medium or weapon but we have no way to make it in bulk properties, it takes a lot of energy to make and it is highly dangerous. It has to be stored in a magnetic bottle in vacuum, if the magnet stops the antimatter will hit the walls of the chamber and release a massive amount of energy. Half a gram of antimatter combining with half a gram of matter will release more energy than the hiroshima bomb.

Wow thanks for that Ryan, I find it fascinating

Ryan, was the 16 minutes the record for an actual atom of antimatter? I thought we had contained anti-protons or positrons for much longer than that before.

Drakkith said:
Ryan, was the 16 minutes the record for an actual atom of antimatter? I thought we had contained anti-protons or positrons for much longer than that before.
The 16 minute figure was for antihydrogen. Essentially positrons and antiprotons were kept into a magnetic bottle together and formed antihydrogen atoms. Here's a cool video/article describing it. I was under the impression that this was the record for all antimatter but I can't find evidence (in a quick google) to confirm or deny this.

The wikipedia article on antimatter lists 17 minutes as the record for "neutral antimatter", and given the much much easier task of trapping charged particles I'd bet that the record is only for neutral antimatter.

Antiprotons have been held in storage rings for weeks.

Related to Exploring the Mystery of Anti Matter Energy

1. What is anti-matter energy?

Anti-matter energy is the opposite of regular matter, with the same mass but opposite charge. When matter and anti-matter come into contact, they annihilate each other and release a large amount of energy.

2. How is anti-matter energy different from regular matter?

Besides having opposite charges, anti-matter particles also have opposite quantum numbers and spin. This means that they behave differently in certain situations, such as in the presence of a magnetic field.

3. How is anti-matter energy produced?

Anti-matter energy can be created through high-energy collisions between particles, such as in particle accelerators. It can also be naturally produced in certain radioactive decay processes.

4. What is the potential use of anti-matter energy?

Anti-matter energy has the potential to be a highly efficient and powerful source of energy. It could also be used in medical imaging and cancer treatment, as well as in propulsion systems for space travel.

5. What are the challenges in studying anti-matter energy?

One of the main challenges in studying anti-matter energy is its rarity and difficulty in producing and containing it. Another challenge is understanding and controlling the annihilation process to harness its energy. Additionally, there are ethical considerations and safety concerns when dealing with such a powerful and potentially destructive energy source.