Exploring the Maximum and Eigenvalues of Matrices: A Comprehensive Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses finding information on how to use the maximum on matrices and how it relates to eigenvalues. The speaker is trying to prove an expression involving the maximum and eigenvalue of matrices and wants to know if there is any known relationship between the two. They also discuss the linearity of the maximum operator and the properties of eigenvalues for two matrices. However, it is uncertain if there is a known expression for the equality or inequality of the maximum eigenvalue of two matrices.
azizz
Does anybody have a good book/website where I can find good information on how to use the maximum on matrices. I have to prove an expression involving the maximum and eigenvalue of matrices. But I don't know how to link those to together. I think I can figure this out, if only I had some good information source :)

Regards, Azizz

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "the maximum"?

Sorry I went to fast here. With the maximum I meant the largest (or maximal) eigenvalue, for example

[tex] \lambda_{\max}(A) = \max_{\| x \| =1} x^* A x [/tex]

Then my question is: what do I know of this operator? Is it, eg, linear?

You mean is the function [itex]\lambda_\max[/itex] linear on the space of matrices? Certainly not.

Ok, but I think this holds true:

Suppose A-B is hermitian and positive definite, then

[tex] \max_{\|x\|=1} x^*(A-B)x \geq x^*(A-B) x = x^*Ax - x^*Bx \leq \lambda_{\max}(A) - \lambda_{\max}(B) [/tex]

Found partly what I needed:

[tex] \lambda_{\max}(A)I \geq A \geq \lambda_{\min}(A)I [/tex]

[tex] \beta I > A \iff \beta > \lambda_{\max}(A) [/tex]

Now all I have to know is what is known for the eigenvalue of two matrices? That is:

[tex] \lambda_{\max}(A+B) = ... [/tex]

Is there any expression I can use for such an equality (or perhaps inequility)?

Last edited:
I don't think you can say anything intelligent for arbitrary matrices A and B. (But I could be wrong!)

Related to Exploring the Maximum and Eigenvalues of Matrices: A Comprehensive Guide

1. What is the maximum value?

The maximum value is the largest possible value in a given set of data.

2. How is the maximum value calculated?

The maximum value is calculated by finding the highest number in a set of data. This can be done by arranging the data in ascending order and identifying the last or highest number.

3. Can the maximum value be negative?

Yes, the maximum value can be negative if the data set contains negative numbers. It is simply the highest number in the set, regardless of its sign.

4. What is the significance of knowing the maximum value?

Knowing the maximum value can provide important insights into the data set. It can help identify outliers or extreme values, and can also be used to compare different sets of data.

5. How is the maximum value useful in statistics?

The maximum value is useful in statistics as it is a measure of the spread or range of the data. It can also be used to calculate other statistical measures such as the range, variance, and standard deviation. Additionally, it can be used to make decisions or draw conclusions based on the data.