Exploring the Lunar Laser Ranging Experiment

In summary: Can anyone answer me properly?um, no, as the picture was taken from earth, it shows we landed on the near-side of the moon.
Physics news on Phys.org
According to this http://www.ilovestars.com/Moon/moonlanding.html" , all landings have been on the near side.

Leaving the reflector was easy, they just put it down and walked away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to PF.

All of the lunar landing sites are on the near side of the moon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ApolloLandings.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The picture clearly shows that they landed on the other side of the Moon...
Can anyone answer me properly?

Um, no, as the picture was taken from earth, it shows we landed on the near-side of the moon. Find yourself another picture to verify it from (I actually compared it to a picture of the moon I took to make sure).

Where are you getting this wrong idea from? This idea is not hard to debunk with 30 seconds of googling (which is how Integral and I got our information). You really should be making more of an effort here.

Last edited:
so... if they had landed on near side of the moon, why couldn't we see them? for that matter, nevertheless we should have seen their wagons.
see them waving the flag? lol

r.vittalkiran said:
so... if they had landed on near side of the moon, why couldn't we see them? for that matter, nevertheless we should have seen their wagons.
see them waving the flag? lol

you maybe could if you had an extremely powerful optical telescope ! maybe if the Hubble space telescope exsited back then, maybe it may just pick out a bump of the lander but its doubtful!
Just think ... if they had landed on the far side then we would never have seen the pix or video or any other radio comms from them ! If you remember ... if you are old enough... prob not, since you are even asking/these questions ... as the Apollo command/service module orbited the moon, they always went into radio blackout as they went around the far side

Dave

r.vittalkiran said:
The picture clearly shows that they landed on the other side of the Moon...
Can anyone answer me properly?

as the others said ... not true

the pic on that wiki page clearly shows the near side of the moon. I can't even begin to understand how you could think it is the far side ? you can even go out on a full moon night and look up and see the same thing as in that pic

2 pix below the one from your wiki link and one I took with my camera, see the simularity ? :) ... its the same :)

Dave

Attachments

• Full_Moon_Luc_Viatour.jpg
    Full_Moon_Luc_Viatour.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 381
  • 050719Moon.jpg
    050719Moon.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
r.vittalkiran said:
so... if they had landed on near side of the moon, why couldn't we see them?
From 300,000km away, in order to see something 1 yard across, you'd need a telescope with a lens/mirror roughly 160m in size. That's a telescope significantly larger than a football field just in diameter.

There is absolutely nothing even close to that here on Earth. We do not have a telescope large enough to see the lander, let alone flags or even rovers.

The only pictures of the landers taken not by the Apollo astronauts have been by recent Lunar orbiter satellites. And even on these, the lander looks like a spot of dirt on the picture.

There seems to be a misconception brought about because of the ability for satellites to take very detailed pictures of the Earth from orbit. The Moon is FAR away. Those satellites looking down on us are quite low! The way to do it would be to use a massive telescope on the ground, but the atmosphere has an effect on your image. If my back of the envelope calculation is right, unless adaptive optics are used, your best resolution from a ground based observatory is something like 2km. Although, adaptive optics are used... so I guess that's a moot point.

You might be able to score an order of magnitude from adaptive optics. I doubt it'd be much better than that. Besides, you still run into optical resolution limits, which are no better.

Now, if you had information about the phase of the signal, like we do with radio telescopes, that would be different. We'd be able to build an optical telescope with effective diameter equal to that of the Earth. You'd be able to look at dust grains on the Moon with that. But for that we need "electronics" that operate at optical frequencies. Maybe with optical computers we'll finally have that in a decade or two.

Astronomy will become a very different subject practically over night when the first arrays go online. We should be able to actually map out some nearby exoplanets with that. Can't wait to see it.

To my understanding, though we never landed on the "far" side of the moon, we did in fact orbit around the moon many times prior to landings. Many photos taken.

Related to Exploring the Lunar Laser Ranging Experiment

1. How does the Lunar Laser Ranging Experiment work?

The Lunar Laser Ranging Experiment involves sending a laser beam from Earth to a retroreflector on the surface of the moon. The reflector then bounces the laser beam back to Earth, where it is detected by a telescope. By measuring the time it takes for the laser beam to travel to and from the moon, scientists can calculate the distance between Earth and the moon with extreme precision.

2. What is the purpose of the Lunar Laser Ranging Experiment?

The main purpose of the Lunar Laser Ranging Experiment is to precisely measure the distance between Earth and the moon. This data is used to study the movement and position of the moon, as well as to test theories of gravity and general relativity.

3. How long has the Lunar Laser Ranging Experiment been in operation?

The first successful Lunar Laser Ranging Experiment was conducted in 1969 by Apollo 11 astronauts. Since then, the experiment has continued with various retroreflectors placed on the moon by different Apollo missions, as well as by unmanned missions from other countries. The experiment is still ongoing and is constantly being improved upon.

4. What have we learned from the Lunar Laser Ranging Experiment?

The Lunar Laser Ranging Experiment has provided valuable data on the distance between Earth and the moon, as well as the movement and position of the moon. This data has helped scientists better understand the moon's orbit and rotation, as well as the effects of tidal forces. It has also been used to test theories of gravity and general relativity, and has contributed to our understanding of the formation and evolution of the moon.

5. Are there plans for future Lunar Laser Ranging experiments?

Yes, there are plans for future Lunar Laser Ranging experiments. NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) mission has a retroreflector onboard, and there are plans to place more retroreflectors on the moon in the future. These experiments will continue to provide valuable data and insights into the moon and its relationship with Earth.