Exploring the Limits of Entropy: The 2nd Law of Thermodynamics

• Thread starter zeromodz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Entropy
In summary: However, from what I understand, the first law of thermodynamics would state that the amount of energy in the universe cannot increase. So, I'm not sure how this would lead to an increase in entropy.In summary, the 2nd law of thermodynamics states that entropy can only stay the same or increase given time. My question is, is there a max limit to how much entropy can increase? And when it reaches this limit, can energy do any work at all? Kelvin came up with this idea of heat death of the universe. That is where entropy reaches its maximum state, all matter is maximally disorganized, and energy is no longer available for doing work. Kind of a grim thought.
zeromodz
The 2nd law of thermodynamics states that entropy can only stay the same or increase given time. My question is, is there a max limit to how much entropy can increase? And when it reaches this limit, can energy do any work at all?

Science news on Phys.org
Kelvin came up with this idea of heat death of the universe. That is where entropy reaches its maximum state, all matter is maximally disorganized, and energy is no longer available for doing work. Kind of a grim thought.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death

In an isolated system there is what's known as thermodynamic equilibrium. Once an isolated system reaches this state, it will cease to change.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermodynamic_equilibrium

I think the heat death link is good.

You've reached maximum entropy whenever you can't get a different macroscopic reading from microscopic changes.

As a side note, most people are only familiar with the defenition of entropy from thermodynamics. Understanding it from a statistical mechanics point of view added a tremendous amount of meaning to the topic for me. YMMV.

It says on wikipedia that the maximum entropy in the universe will rapidly increase far faster than entropy in general increasing, pushing us away from "heat death". Why is it that the maximum entropy increases so fast because of the expansion of the universe?

1)example for function A and B such that function f and composite functions of g o f are both injective but g is not injective

2)1)example for function A and B such that function f and composite functions of g o f are both surjective but f is not surjective?

zeromodz said:
It says on wikipedia that the maximum entropy in the universe will rapidly increase far faster than entropy in general increasing, pushing us away from "heat death". Why is it that the maximum entropy increases so fast because of the expansion of the universe?

I find it very difficult to understand how this could be the case since the first law seems to indicate that no more energy is being added to the universe. (My lack of understanding might be due to my ignorance of thermodynamics or the theories behind the expansion of the universe. Take you pick :biggrin:)

An increase in volume (without a change in pressure or temperature) is an increase in entropy. If the universe is expanding rapidly, it stands to reason that entropy is as well. Clearly there is something I'm missing.

I wanted to check the source for that statement, but Wikipedia doesn't cite one!

Related to Exploring the Limits of Entropy: The 2nd Law of Thermodynamics

What is entropy and how does it relate to the 2nd law of thermodynamics?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. The 2nd law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time, meaning that the disorder in the system will also increase. This is because energy naturally flows from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration, resulting in an increase in entropy.

Why is the 2nd law of thermodynamics considered one of the most fundamental laws of physics?

The 2nd law of thermodynamics is considered fundamental because it governs the behavior of energy in all physical systems. It is a universal law that applies to everything from the smallest particles to the entire universe. It also has numerous applications in fields such as chemistry, biology, and engineering.

What are some real-world examples that demonstrate the 2nd law of thermodynamics in action?

One example is the expansion of a gas. When a gas is compressed in a container, it has a low entropy because the molecules are tightly packed and organized. As the gas is released, it expands and the molecules become more disordered, increasing the entropy. Another example is the gradual cooling of a hot cup of coffee. The hot coffee has a low entropy, but as it cools down, the molecules slow down and become more disordered, increasing the entropy.

How does the 2nd law of thermodynamics relate to the concept of energy efficiency?

The 2nd law of thermodynamics states that energy will naturally flow from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration. This means that in order to convert energy from one form to another, some energy will inevitably be lost as heat. This limits the efficiency of energy conversion processes, as some energy will always be lost in the form of heat.

Are there any exceptions to the 2nd law of thermodynamics?

There are no known exceptions to the 2nd law of thermodynamics. However, there are situations where it may appear to be violated. For example, living organisms are able to decrease their entropy by consuming energy and maintaining a highly organized structure. However, the overall entropy of the universe still increases, as the energy consumed by the organism ultimately dissipates as heat into the environment.