Exploring the Hierarchy of Time: Δt, Δs, and Δτ

In summary, the conversation covers the hierarchy presented in a textbook of the three types of time: coordinate time, spacetime interval, and proper time. The exact definitions of these terms and their relationship to each other are discussed, with the conclusion that proper time is equal to the spacetime interval only when measured by an inertial observer. The conversation also brings up the question of where this hierarchy comes from and asks for examples to demonstrate the inequalities.
Bristlethorn
Hi, all.
My textbook presents an hierarchy of the three types of time, but doesn't back it up or explain where it came from.

According to it,

Δt ≥ Δs ≥ Δτ

Where
- Δt is the coordinate time between two events as observed in an inertial frame,
- Δs is the spacetime interval between two events,
- Δτ is a proper time between two events.

Can anyone explain where this hierarchy comes from?
Thanks,

Bristlethorn

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to be assuming a +--- signature and units such that c=1 (that is, ##\Delta s^2=\Delta t^2-\Delta x^2-\Delta y^2-\Delta z^2##). I would have said that Δs and Δτ were the same thing, at least for timelike intervals, in that context. Perhaps there's some more context provided about what Δs and Δτ mean to your textbook? And which textbook, by the way?

But Δt is obviously greater than or equal to the other two from the definition of the interval - see the expression in brackets above.

Likes vanhees71
Proper time equals the spacetime interval between two events only when the proper time is measured by an inertial observer.

To see this hierarchy: write down the three expressions for the different intervals. What do you get?

haushofer said:
Proper time equals the spacetime interval between two events only when the proper time is measured by an inertial observer.
That's why I was asking for context. I interpreted the "proper time between two events" without qualification as the proper time along a straight line. You seem to be interpreting it as the proper time along an arbitrary path, in which case, I agree.

Maybe my terminology is letting me down.

Likes Dale
Can you think of a physical example demonstrating the left inequality? the right inequality?

Bristlethorn said:
My textbook

Which textbook?

Related to Exploring the Hierarchy of Time: Δt, Δs, and Δτ

1. What is the hierarchy of time?

The hierarchy of time refers to the different ways in which time is measured and understood. This includes Δt (proper time), Δs (coordinate time), and Δτ (proper time interval).

2. What is Δt?

Δt, or proper time, is the time measured by an observer who is at rest relative to the event being measured. It takes into account the effects of time dilation and is often used in special relativity.

3. What is Δs?

Δs, or coordinate time, is the time measured by an observer who is in motion relative to the event being measured. It does not take into account time dilation and is often used in classical mechanics.

4. What is Δτ?

Δτ, or proper time interval, is the difference in proper time between two events. It is a measure of the time experienced by an observer who is at rest relative to the events being measured.

5. How are Δt, Δs, and Δτ related?

Δt, Δs, and Δτ are related through the equation Δt = γΔτ, where γ is the Lorentz factor. This equation takes into account the effects of time dilation and allows for the conversion between different measurements of time.