Exploring the Graph of y=√x: Understanding Reflections and Values in Quadrants

In summary, the graph of y=√x has a conventional value for the square root and only appears in the first quadrant when plugged in x=4.
DryRun
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Explain graph of y=√x

The attempt at a solution
I've done the graph on an online graphing calculator:
http://s2.ipicture.ru/uploads/20120117/7JtQ5VD2.png

But i don't understand why there is no equivalent reflection below the x-axis, in the 4th quadrant.

From y=√x,
if x=4, then y is either 2 or -2. Correct? Then, why is the value -2 discarded?
Furthermore, if i rewrite the equation y=√x as x=y^2, then the graph does indeed become like this:
http://s2.ipicture.ru/uploads/20120117/p9hbKFr6.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it has something to do with the fact that including both answers would disqualify its graph from being a function, so by convention, you only use the graph of one of the answers, the positive ones. That is my guess, I could be wrong.

Unsatisfactory answer.:frown:

The graph of [itex]y = \sqrt{x}[/itex] is exactly as you show in post 1. Looking at the domain, x must be >= 0. For the range, the square root returns a value >= 0. In your example, if x = 4, y = 2, not -2, because the square root of 4 is 2, not -2.

It is true that 4 has two square roots, but the principal square root, which is indicated by the square root symbol, is nonnegative. For these reasons, the graph of this function appears only in the first quadrant.

sharks said:
Unsatisfactory answer.:frown:

Sorry about that. It's still a correct answer, in my opinion. Why else would the graph appear as you present it other than convention, as Mark much, much more precisely explained it. Hopefully I can get an equally precise answer to my most recent thread...I'm just trying to contribute what little I can to others' questions in the meantime :).

Just try out a few points.

y = sqrt(x). If you plug in x, you get y=1. Not y= +/- 1

sharks said:
But i don't understand why there is no equivalent reflection below the x-axis, in the 4th quadrant.
When you use a calculator to figure out a number's square root, are you bothered that it only gives you a single positive number for the result?

Mark44 said:
It is true that 4 has two square roots, but the principal square root, which is indicated by the square root symbol, is nonnegative. For these reasons, the graph of this function appears only in the first quadrant.
Redbelly98 said:
When you use a calculator to figure out a number's square root, are you bothered that it only gives you a single positive number for the result?

I'll use these explanations as they both justify the graph by the conventional value of a square root.

LearninDaMath said:
Sorry about that. It's still a correct answer, in my opinion. Why else would the graph appear as you present it other than convention, as Mark much, much more precisely explained it. Hopefully I can get an equally precise answer to my most recent thread...I'm just trying to contribute what little I can to others' questions in the meantime :).

I think you did well :smile:

sharks, do you know the quadratic formula?

Hi Mentallic

$$-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac} \over 2a$$
Yes, I'm familiar with solving unknowns using that formula. What point are you trying to make?:smile:

Last edited:
sharks said:
What point are you trying to make?:smile:

Why does it have a [itex]\pm[/itex] symbol if the square root of 4 for example is both 2 and -2? We wouldn't need that symbol there if the square root already produced both values.

Good point! I'll add it to the whoever-need-convincing list.:smile:

sharks said:
Good point! I'll add it to the whoever-need-convincing list.:smile:

Spread the truth :biggrin:

Related to Exploring the Graph of y=√x: Understanding Reflections and Values in Quadrants

1. What is the basic concept behind exploring the graph of y=√x?

The graph of y=√x represents a mathematical relationship between two variables, x and y, where y is the square root of x. This means that for every value of x, there is a corresponding value of y that, when squared, equals x. By exploring this graph, we can better understand how these values are reflected and how they are distributed in the four quadrants of the coordinate plane.

2. How are reflections represented in the graph of y=√x?

Reflections are represented in the graph of y=√x by the symmetry of the curve. This means that any point on the curve can be reflected across the y-axis to create a mirror image. This is because the square root function is an even function, which means it is symmetrical about the y-axis.

3. What do the values in the four quadrants of the graph represent?

The values in the four quadrants of the graph represent the different combinations of positive and negative values for x and y. In the first quadrant, both x and y values are positive. In the second quadrant, x values are negative while y values are positive. In the third quadrant, both x and y values are negative. And in the fourth quadrant, x values are positive while y values are negative.

4. What is the significance of the x-intercept and y-intercept in the graph of y=√x?

The x-intercept, represented as (0,0), is the point where the curve of y=√x crosses the x-axis. This means that when x=0, y=0, which is the origin. The y-intercept, represented as (0,1), is the point where the curve crosses the y-axis. This means that when x=0, y=1, or the square root of 0 equals 1. These points are significant because they show the relationship between the variables x and y, and how they intersect at different points on the graph.

5. How can understanding the graph of y=√x be applied in real life?

Understanding the graph of y=√x can be applied in various fields such as engineering, physics, and finance. For example, in engineering, the relationship between the square root of x and y can help in designing curves and shapes for bridges or buildings. In physics, the graph can help in understanding the motion of objects with a constant acceleration. In finance, the graph can be used to analyze the relationship between investments and returns. Overall, understanding this graph can help in solving real-life problems involving mathematical relationships and visualizing data.