Exploring the Formation of Crystals of Inert Gases - Charles Kittel's Insights

In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of crystals from inert gases, specifically in the context of studying from Charles Kittel's "Introduction to Solid State Physics." The question is raised about how inert gases can form crystals, and the answer is that they need to be frozen at temperatures well below 0 K in order to occupy fixed spots in the crystalline lattice. It is also mentioned that these gases experience weak attractive forces between atoms, which is why they are all gases at room temperature. The discussion ends with gratitude for the helpful answers provided.
Aseel
Hello every one :)

Actually i was studying from Charles Kittel ( introduction to solid state physics ) about crystals of inert gases , then i asked my self how could inert gases forms a crystals , i couldn't answer that , and no place to read about it :( .

So can you people help me to find an answer for that ? Thanks in advance .

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Aseel, welcome to PF. The gases need to be frozen so that the atoms can occupy the fixed spots in the crystalline lattice. It's not much different than any other crystal formation, except the temperature is well below 0 K. Does this answer your question?

Atoms in inert gasses to experience some attractive forces between them. See for instance Wikipedia's article on the van der Waals force: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Der_Waals_Force
Attractive forces between noble gas atoms are very weak however, which is why they are all gasses at room temperature.

Yes it does answer my Q . Big thanks for you Mapes and Kanato :) .

Related to Exploring the Formation of Crystals of Inert Gases - Charles Kittel's Insights

1. What are inert gases?

Inert gases, also known as noble gases, are a group of chemical elements that are characterized by their low reactivity and stability. They include helium, neon, argon, krypton, xenon, and radon.

2. How do crystals of inert gases form?

Crystals of inert gases form through a process called condensation, where the gas molecules are cooled and compressed until they transition into a solid state. This allows the atoms to arrange themselves in a regular, repeating pattern, forming a crystal lattice.

3. What is Charles Kittel's contribution to understanding the formation of crystals of inert gases?

Charles Kittel was a physicist who contributed greatly to the understanding of crystals, including those of inert gases. He proposed the concept of a "molecular field," which explains the forces between atoms in a crystal and how they affect its properties.

4. Why is the study of crystals of inert gases important?

The study of crystals of inert gases is important for several reasons. These gases have unique properties that make them useful in various applications, such as lighting, refrigeration, and welding. Additionally, understanding the formation of crystals can provide insights into the behavior of other materials and help in the development of new technologies.

5. How can the formation of crystals of inert gases be explored?

The formation of crystals of inert gases can be explored through experiments, simulations, and theoretical models. By studying factors such as temperature, pressure, and impurities, scientists can gain a better understanding of the conditions that lead to crystal formation and the properties of the resulting crystals.