Exploring the Differences Between Virtual and Ordinary Statistical Ensembles

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of virtual statistical ensembles and how they differ from ordinary statistical ensembles. The former involves only a single physical copy of the system, while the others are imagined to exist. This approach was used by Gibbs to apply statistical methods to single macroscopic systems. The conversation also mentions a section from a course on this topic and how it relates to operational probabilities and averages.
A. Neumaier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
dextercioby said:
Hi Arnold, I found the section about the virtual statistical ensembles from my QM course I took part in Nov-Dec. 2003. It is all written in Romanian, so I need to translate it to German or English. Leave me some time, please. :)
Please translate to English, so that it can be discussed here! I am primarily interested in how the virtual ensemble differs from an ordinary statistical ensemble, i.e., a large collection of actually identically prepared systems.

The latter is the usual ensemble on which one can make statistics by counting, averaging, etc..

The former (the virtual ensemble) is (at least according to Gibbs) one of which you have only a single copy (a single metal bar, say) on which you make the predictions and verify them, while the others copies are just imagined to exist, but never realized. It was Gibbs' trick that enabled him to use (or misuse) the statistical machinery to get results that apply to single macroscopic systems.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, there was a section of 4 pages which starts from this part right here and expands a little using continuous spectra as well, then relating operational probabilities to operational averages.
So this 1 page should pretty much instruct the eduated reader of what I am/was trying to say in the other thread.

Attachments

• Section 2.5 - short version (essentials).pdf
    41 KB · Views: 214

Related to Exploring the Differences Between Virtual and Ordinary Statistical Ensembles

What is a virtual statistical ensemble?

A virtual statistical ensemble refers to a collection of virtual systems that have the same macroscopic properties as a real system. These virtual systems are created using computer simulations and are used to study the behavior of complex systems.

How are virtual statistical ensembles used in scientific research?

Virtual statistical ensembles are used to study the behavior of complex systems, such as molecules, atoms, and even galaxies. They allow scientists to understand the underlying principles and mechanisms that govern the behavior of these systems, without having to conduct costly and time-consuming experiments.

What is the significance of virtual statistical ensembles in statistical mechanics?

In statistical mechanics, virtual statistical ensembles are used to calculate the thermodynamic properties of a system. By simulating a large number of virtual systems, scientists can obtain statistical averages and probabilities, which can then be used to predict the behavior of the real system.

What types of systems can be studied using virtual statistical ensembles?

Virtual statistical ensembles can be used to study a wide range of systems, including gases, liquids, solids, and even biological systems. They are also used in fields such as materials science, chemistry, and astrophysics.

What are the limitations of virtual statistical ensembles?

One limitation of virtual statistical ensembles is that they rely on the accuracy of the computer simulations used to create them. If the simulation is not accurate, the results obtained from the virtual ensemble may not accurately reflect the behavior of the real system. Additionally, virtual statistical ensembles may not be able to capture rare events or extreme conditions that may occur in a real system.