Exploring the Differences Between Contest Math and Real Math

• Thread starter arachnotron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Contest
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between contest mathematics and research mathematics. While both require problem-solving skills, contest math is focused on finding quick solutions using elementary mathematics, while research math involves learning and organizing extensive theories in order to make significant contributions to the field. The speaker also mentions that being good at contest math may not necessarily translate to being successful in research math, as the latter requires the ability to formulate and solve complex and interesting problems. Additionally, they note that contests have a different purpose and therefore the problems are chosen to be challenging but not impossible, while research problems have no ceiling in difficulty.
arachnotron
Hi, all!

I was wondering: is research mathematics (the stuff real professionals do) anything like contest mathematics? I know contest math is usually extremely hard and requires ingenuity, but does mathematics at, say, the graduate level require more mathematical ability/ingenuity than the "toy" problems prevalent in elementary math based contest math?

I'm a math "newbie", so I'm not all too privy to the distinction between contest math and the real world!

(note: when I say "contest math", I mean things like USAMO/IMO, etc. -- the highest level stuff)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Don't know about that but my current math teacher always says "Its not problem solving if you seen the problem before!"

So I'm guess you don't need to be brilliant at math to study it. If you love it then do it...

Bright Wang,

I'm not sure what you mean?

Most of the contest math problems revolve around finding a simple trick using mostly elementary mathematics under time constraints. Graduate students and professional mathematicians have to learn, relearn, and coherently organize large volumes of mathematical theory with hopes of somehow extending, even in some insignificant way, this body of knowledge.

Contest math is quite a bit different than research math, but many of the same skills are used. I went to the last IMO and plan to go this time too, but just because it's a great experience and you meet interesting people. I don't expect to use many of the weird factorization techniques I know, but I certainly think that contest math has helped me solve problems, including non-contest and even non-mathematical problems, better. For some good advice see:
http://terrytao.wordpress.com/career-advice/advice-on-mathematics-competitions/

My opinion is that being good at contest math isn't enough to have the deep insights to solve hard problems -- but it will mean that you are very good at connecting the dots, and thus at assembling deep insights into useful theorems.

As in all research, the MAJOR distinguishing feature of "real math" relative to contest math, is to be able to FORMULATE a solvable, and interesting, problem.

good point, problem finding, and problem posing, are crucial research skills nit represented in most contests, although there is no reason contests could not become more extended in scope. the purpose of a contest is to engage young people in a fun activity, so the problems are purposely chosen to be challenging but not to be completely discouragingly impossible. In actual research you are up against nature and the problems have no ceiling in difficulty.

Related to Exploring the Differences Between Contest Math and Real Math

1. What is the difference between contest math and real math?

Contest math is focused on solving problems quickly and efficiently, often using specific techniques and formulas. Real math, on the other hand, involves a deeper understanding of concepts and their applications in various fields.

2. Can contest math skills be applied to real-life situations?

Some aspects of contest math, such as problem-solving strategies and critical thinking skills, can be applied to real-life situations. However, real math requires a broader understanding of concepts and their real-world applications.

3. Are there any benefits to participating in contest math competitions?

Participating in contest math competitions can improve problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and mathematical knowledge. It can also provide valuable experience in working under pressure and in a competitive environment.

4. How can I improve my skills in both contest math and real math?

To improve in both areas, it is important to practice solving a variety of problems and to also deepen your understanding of mathematical concepts. Additionally, seeking guidance from experienced mathematicians or participating in workshops and training programs can also be helpful.

5. Do universities and employers value contest math experience?

While contest math experience may not be a determining factor for admissions or employment, it can demonstrate a strong passion and aptitude for mathematics. It may also be viewed positively by universities and employers as it showcases critical thinking, problem-solving, and time management skills.