Exploring the Defined & Used Form of the Cross Product

In summary, the cross product is defined as u x v = (bz-cy)i + (az-cx)j + (ay-bx)k and is used in calculating torques. The mnemonic trick of making the second coefficient negative allows for a more intuitive way of thinking about the cross product using determinants. The concept will also be covered in a linear algebra class.
Noxide
Why is the cross product defined this way

(blah)i + (blah)j + (blah)k = u

and used this way

(blah)i - (blah)j + (blah)k = u

Physics news on Phys.org
Well; simply make the second blah in the first line a -blah,- it remains a " blah" doesn't it? :)

The " trick" you mention makes use of a determinant to calculate aXb .

Making the second coeffient "-" makes it fit a nice mnemonic:
expanding a determinant along the top row
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{ccc}a & b & c \\ d & e & f\\ g & h & i\end{array}\right|= a\left|\begin{array}{cc}e & f \\ h & i\end{array}\right|- b\left|\begin{array}{cc}d & f \\ g & i\end{array}\right|+ c\left|\begin{array}{cc}d& e \\ g & h\end{array}\right|[/tex]

If [itex]\vec{u}= a\vec{i}+ b\vec{j}+ c\vec{k}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{v}= x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}+ z\vec{k}[/itex], then writing [itex]\ve{u}\times \vec{v}= (bz-cy)\vec{i}+ (az- cx)\vec{j}+ (ay- bx)\vec{k}[/itex] as [itex](bz-cy)\vec{i}- (cx- az)\vec{j}+ (au= bx-)\vec{k}[/itex] makes it clearer that we can think of it as
[tex]\vec{u}\times\vec{v}= \left|\begin{array}{ccc}\vec{i} & \vec{j} & \vec{k} \\ a & b & c \\ x & y & z\end{array}\right|[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
Making the second coeffient "-" makes it fit a nice mnemonic:
expanding a determinant along the top row
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{ccc}a & b & c \\ d & e & f\\ g & h & i\end{array}\right|= a\left|\begin{array}{cc}e & f \\ h & i\end{array}\right|- b\left|\begin{array}{cc}d & f \\ g & i\end{array}\right|+ c\left|\begin{array}{cc}d& e \\ g & h\end{array}\right|[/tex]

If [itex]\vec{u}= a\vec{i}+ b\vec{j}+ c\vec{k}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{v}= x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}+ z\vec{k}[/itex], then writing [itex]\ve{u}\times \vec{v}= (bz-cy)\vec{i}+ (az- cx)\vec{j}+ (ay- bx)\vec{k}[/itex] as [itex](bz-cy)\vec{i}- (cx- az)\vec{j}+ (au= bx-)\vec{k}[/itex] makes it clearer that we can think of it as
[tex]\vec{u}\times\vec{v}= \left|\begin{array}{ccc}\vec{i} & \vec{j} & \vec{k} \\ a & b & c \\ x & y & z\end{array}\right|[/tex]

Thanks ivy!

We basically got the formula thrown at us because it is useful when finding torques. I see that cross products are also going to be covered in our linear algebra class, but we have not yet covered determinants in the class so cross products are a little out of my reach in terms of gaining a full understanding. I think your explanation nudged me in the right direction.

Related to Exploring the Defined & Used Form of the Cross Product

1. What is the cross product?

The cross product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and produces a third vector that is perpendicular to both of the input vectors. It is denoted by the symbol "x" and is also known as the vector product.

2. How is the cross product defined?

The cross product is defined as the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors and the sine of the angle between them. This can be represented as: A x B = |A| |B| sin(theta), where A and B are the two input vectors and theta is the angle between them.

3. What is the geometric interpretation of the cross product?

The cross product has a geometric interpretation in terms of the right-hand rule. If the index finger of the right hand is pointed in the direction of the first vector and the middle finger is pointed in the direction of the second vector, then the thumb will point in the direction of the resulting cross product vector.

4. How is the cross product used in physics and engineering?

The cross product is used in physics and engineering to calculate various quantities, such as torque and angular momentum. It is also used in the calculation of magnetic fields and in the motion of charged particles in electromagnetic fields.

5. What are some properties of the cross product?

The cross product has several important properties, including being anti-commutative (A x B = -B x A), distributive (A x (B + C) = A x B + A x C), and being perpendicular to both of the input vectors. It is also equal to zero if the two vectors are parallel or anti-parallel.