Exploring the Benefits of a Master's Degree in Applied Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's plans for after completing their undergraduate degree. They are currently considering pursuing a Ph.D. in applied physics, but are also interested in a Master's degree and potential job opportunities in the private sector. They express a preference for experimental work and designing practical devices. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to look into programs focused on electro-optics or device physics and the potential opportunities for research and job prospects in the field of silicon lasing.
Poop-Loops
I'm only in my 2nd year of undergrad, but I'm already thinking about what I'll do after it. For a while now my plan has been to go get a Ph.D. in applied physics. But I keep thinking about how long that will take...

So what about a Master's in applied physics? Is there still useful things I can do with that degree?

Right now the thought of spending 7 extra years in school after undergrad scares me... I might change my mind (again) later, but I really want to know all of my options...

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, so how about a Ph.D. in applied physics? I was thinking of going into the private sector and doing experimental work. That's pretty feasible, right? I don't want to get stuck behind a chalkboard doing theory all day long. I COULD also teach at a Univeristy if I had to, I'm a pretty good tutor and it's not so bad, but I'd rather just to straight research or something.

Stick with the experimental side of physics. Look at programs where the thrust is in electro-optics or device physics. You'll have the opportunity to design, fabricate and test your device and it should be a decent thesis topic.

I love designing things! Not artsy-fartsy stuff, but things that actually serve a purpose. Is there a good chance that I'll actually get to do that for a living, and not just push paper for someone else?

With lasing in silicon, the job market should be open for any and all research into its applications. What can be done with a truly integrated chip boggles my mind for future expansion of the electronic industry.

I'll take that as a "Yes." :D

Related to Exploring the Benefits of a Master's Degree in Applied Physics

1. What is a Master's in Applied Physics?

A Master's in Applied Physics is a graduate degree program that focuses on the practical application of physics principles to real-world problems. It combines advanced coursework in physics with hands-on experience in research and experimentation.

2. What are the entry requirements for a Master's in Applied Physics program?

The specific entry requirements may vary depending on the university or program, but generally, applicants are expected to have a Bachelor's degree in physics or a related field. Some programs may also require prerequisite courses in mathematics, chemistry, or engineering.

3. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a Master's in Applied Physics?

Graduates with a Master's in Applied Physics have a wide range of career options in various industries such as aerospace, electronics, energy, healthcare, and more. They may work as research scientists, engineers, consultants, or educators, among other roles.

4. Can I pursue a Master's in Applied Physics if my undergraduate degree is in a different field?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Master's in Applied Physics with an undergraduate degree in a different field. However, you may be required to take additional prerequisite courses to catch up on the necessary physics knowledge before starting the program.

5. How long does it take to complete a Master's in Applied Physics?

The duration of a Master's in Applied Physics program can vary, but it typically takes 1-2 years to complete. Some programs may offer an accelerated option for students who have a strong background in physics, allowing them to complete the degree in a shorter period.