Exploring the Behavior of Sin2thw with Respect to Scale

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of the sin2thw curve with respect to scale, specifically in terms of three regimes: a plateau, a degradation, and a steep rise. The W-boson mass scale is one factor, but the runnings of EM and weak couplings also play a role. One possible explanation for this behavior is the running of s2w, which is affected by the number of active particles in the loop. This can be evaluated using the b_i coefficients, as explained in the referenced source. However, the inclusion of hadronic contributions may also affect the running.
colubra
Hi, everybody!

I can not really understand the particular behavior of the sin2thw with respect to the scale (like on the plot below).
sin2tw.png

Clearly there are three regimes from the left to the right: a plato, a degradation and a steep rise. But why exactly does the curve behave like this? The W-boson mass scale is clearly one pole here, where weak interaction starts playing role, but this is not enough for understanding this.

The runnings of the EM and weak couplings must be causing this, but somehow they do not add up to the sin2thw curve in my head.

Would be grateful for any explanation or a link to a good source describing this!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Colubra,

As you may know, the running is something like s2w(mu) = 1/ (1 + alpha_2(mu)/alpha_1(mu)), where these are the couplings of the SU2_L and U_Y. To one-loop, these individual couplings will run like:
alpha_i(mu) = alpha_i(mu0)/ (1 - alpha_i(mu0)/(2 Pi) b_i Log(mu/mu0) )

The coefficients b_i depend on the number of active particles. So, for b_1 it depends on the hypercharges of the active fermions and scalars within the theory. If I read this plot correctly, its probably the one-loop running of s2w and the little changes in direction refer to the points where the author has changed the number of active particles running in the loop. Above 200 MeV there is strange loops, then c-loops at ~1.5 GeV and b-loops at ~5 GeV. These contributions can be hard to evaluate, and might be included by including some alpha(hadronic) contributions... maybe. Depending on how/when these contributions are included, the running will change as these particles have different charges under SU(2)L and U(1)Y. Maybe you can try and check, the general formula for the b_i coefficients are giving in eq.3 of http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-ph/0412163v2.pdf
Hope this helps a bit.

Related to Exploring the Behavior of Sin2thw with Respect to Scale

1. What is Sin2thw and how does it relate to scale?

Sin2thw, or the sine of twice the weak mixing angle, is a mathematical quantity used in particle physics to describe the strength of the weak nuclear force. The value of Sin2thw is known to vary with energy scale, meaning that it changes as the energy of a particle increases. By exploring how Sin2thw changes with respect to scale, we can better understand the fundamental forces that govern our universe.

2. Why is it important to study the behavior of Sin2thw?

The behavior of Sin2thw can provide valuable insights into the nature of the weak nuclear force and its interactions with other fundamental forces. It can also help us to test and refine existing theories, such as the Standard Model of particle physics, and potentially uncover new physics beyond our current understanding.

3. How is Sin2thw measured and what factors can affect its behavior?

Sin2thw is typically measured using particle colliders, which accelerate particles to high energies and collide them together. The behavior of Sin2thw can be influenced by various factors such as the energies of the colliding particles, the types of particles involved, and the presence of other particles in the collision environment.

4. What have previous studies revealed about the behavior of Sin2thw?

Previous studies have shown that Sin2thw decreases as the energy scale increases, a phenomenon known as the running of Sin2thw. This has been confirmed by various experiments, including those at the Large Hadron Collider, and is a key feature of the Standard Model of particle physics.

5. What are the potential implications of further exploring the behavior of Sin2thw?

Further exploration of Sin2thw could lead to a better understanding of the underlying mechanisms of the weak nuclear force and potentially reveal new physics beyond the Standard Model. It could also help us to refine our current theories and improve our ability to make predictions about the behavior of particles at high energies.