Exploring the Basics of QED Theory: An Introduction for Beginners

In summary, QED is a theory which describes the electromagnetic interactions of matter from a quantum field theory point of view. It explains the repulsion and attraction between same and opposite charges, as well as the Coulomb potential.
Quarlep
I looked QED theory but I don't understand anything can someone explain me What is a QED theory ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your question is very general- you should specify it more to get a more specific answer...however I'd reply that QED is quantum electrodynamics. It's the theory which describes the electromagnetic interactions of matter from a quantum field theory point of view. What else do you want to know?

Can it explain what's charge or why same chargea are repel and different charges are attraced

Quarlep said:
Can it explain what's charge or why same chargea are repel and different charges are attraced

Yes.

A deep analysis shows its basis is what called gauge symmetry, without going into the details of what that is.

Thanks
Bill

From what I've seen so far it doesn't explain why particles have the charges they do...but the charges are taken conventionally as such (you have the freedom to choose whichever gauge transformation of U[1] gauge group [itex] e^{i \lambda Q} [/itex] and the charges you'll have for your matter field will be [itex] \lambda Q[/itex] )... However there are constraints on the all particle charges to avoid some gauge anomalies.
But yes, it can explain the repulsion and attraction between same and opposite charges, as well as give you the Coulomb potential in the low-energy limit.

ChrisVer said:
From what I've seen so far it doesn't explain why particles have the charges they do...but the charges are taken conventionally as such (you have the freedom to choose whichever gauge transformation of U[1] gauge group [itex] e^{i \lambda Q} [/itex] and the charges you'll have for your matter field will be [itex] \lambda Q[/itex] )... However there are constraints on the all particle charges to avoid some gauge anomalies.
But yes, it can explain the repulsion and attraction between same and opposite charges, as well as give you the Coulomb potential in the low-energy limit.

That's true. It doesn't explain why particles have the charges they do - but it does explain why in general charge exists.

Its required to preserve local gauge symmetry:
http://quantummechanics.ucsd.edu/ph130a/130_notes/node296.html

Thanks
Bill

Nice simple explanation of gauge symmetry here:

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1999/press.html

An electric field E can be expressed as a potential V. The very simplest transformation of V is to add a constant to it. But V can be calculated from any zero point, since only differences in potential are of significance. That the zero point can be moved in this way is perceived as a symmetry in the theory, gauge symmetry...

Thank you very much

Related to Exploring the Basics of QED Theory: An Introduction for Beginners

1. What is QED theory?

QED (Quantum Electrodynamics) theory is a branch of quantum mechanics that describes the interactions between electrically charged particles and electromagnetic fields. It explains how light and matter interact at the microscopic level.

2. Who developed QED theory?

QED theory was developed in the 1940s by theoretical physicists Richard Feynman, Julian Schwinger, and Shin'ichiro Tomonaga. They were awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1965 for their contributions to the development of QED theory.

3. What are the basic principles of QED theory?

QED theory is based on two fundamental principles: the concept of quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of particles at the microscopic level, and the principle of relativity, which explains how different observers can have different descriptions of the same event.

4. How does QED theory explain the behavior of particles and light?

According to QED theory, particles and light are both described as waves and can interact with each other. This theory explains how particles can emit and absorb photons (particles of light) and how photons can be converted into particles.

5. What is the significance of QED theory?

QED theory is considered one of the most successful theories in physics, as it accurately predicts the behavior of particles and light in a wide range of scenarios. It has been tested and confirmed through numerous experiments and is used in various fields, such as astrophysics and particle accelerators, to understand the behavior of matter and energy at the smallest scales.